Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I asked a friend of mine (with some time on his hands due to our fantastic economy of late) if he might like to replace the front struts on my 1991 164L.

He did so successfully and was kind enough to take some pics and add some commentary along the way.

So I hope these pics, etc. might be useful to someone at some point...and thanks to my friend Jim for completing the task!

Alfa 164L front struts R&R

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
A very excellent write up with pics. Thank you for taking the time to do that. I feel like I have done that job a dozen times on mine (even though I think I've only been in there probably 3 times). No mention of the yellow bearing with the million little ball bearings that go everywhere when you compress the spring when laying the strut horizontally like that though. ;) That's the best part about the job when you do this for the first time, all the bearings go everywhere and you go "O' c*@#" what did I do? Do I have another yellow bearing? :p
Charles

·
Registered
909 Posts
This is a great write-up and yes, thanks for taking time to put this together... will come handy for anyone who is planning on doing this job.

-Pavan

·
Registered
343 Posts
That is me in a couple of months!! Wow, excellent write-up. Thanks!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
164 strut R&R

Cannot open this thread. Google wont let me. Anyone know why?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cannot open this thread. Google wont let me. Anyone know why?
My friend Jim who did the strut replacement stored the pics on his account I believe if I recall correctly. I will see if I can get the info from him.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Thanks for the write up. Google Docs is a good internet tool.
Frank

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you still have access to this document I would like to get a copy of your PDF. I am about ready to tackle this job myself and some documentation would be appreciated..

·
Premium Member
4,783 Posts
Can't en it either. My main computer is still being repaired so,no,pics. I have done the fronts over the last days and got,some road time today. Very very pleased and the,springs give me the stance I wanted. All the odd noises I was chasing are gone. The pass front,was shot and the driver front a little better. Half an hour to get each one out, another hour to rebuild each one and half an hour to re install. No air tools required and the biggest thing I can stress is to make sure you know the orientation of the assemblies as they come out and how they go back in. And releasing the,compression on the,spring is paramount. IIRC, you are new to these so you might wanna take the strut assy to a shop,and have them compress for you. You don't want this thing flying,apart,on you as it can kill you. Ciao, chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts