Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I am looking for instructions with regard to removal and replacement of the 1991 164L front indicator lens covers.
These are the triangular shaped white lens on the front corners.
CARDISC does not appear to describe this.

My initial "recce" has me thinking that the whole headlamp unit needs to be removed in order to gain access to the indicator light unit.

I am also looking for a replacement front left (driver) side indicator lens as mine took a hit from a fallen Live Oak tree branch during a recent thunderstorm.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Open hood, lift up rubber flap over headlight, reach in behind parking light with two fingers and squeeze upper and lower release levers above and below parking lamp bulb holder with one hand as you wiggle parking lens light assembly out of headlight frame and fender.

Once you have light assembly out of headlight frame you can unhook wire harness or rotate bulb socket to finish removal.

Try Difatta or IAP for new light assembly for starters or check on ebay or BB for sale and wanted to buy section.

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve.

I had a feeling you would help me out yet again.
I saw and tried the upper release lever but when nothing budged I backed out in case I caused further damage.
I will feel around for the lower release lever now I know it's there.

Alfa BB searches revealed nothing so far,,
Neither EBay where I picked up the RH side indicator light a few weeks ago to replace that one which has always been cracked.

Meanwhile I will call DiFatta when we return from Summer vacation.....if nothing turns up on EBay in the meantime.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Have up hooked up with the car guys yet for the Saturday morning brunch at Truffles Coffee House in Mandarin yet? Think they just had one yesterday.

I miss a lot about the car scene in JAX. Did you ever hook up with Alfa folks?

L/H parking light assy is 60790042 for USA 91-93 model.

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steve,

You really have to explain how you knew that part number?????
I did numerous scans of that unfriendly DiFatta PDF without success.
It becomes too easy to "just ask Steve".

I intend to purchase that part as soon as we are back from Summer vacation in about two weeks time.

What Car Guys in JAX?
What meeting at Truffles in Mandarin, within walking distance of my house?
What Alfa folks?

I have met two other Alfa owners in JAX.
One Gent has a silver 164 and the other a Milano.

We pitch up at the many car shows that spring up in the various parking lots, as well as the major ones from time to time.
There are never any Alfas shown.
The Amelia Island Concours D'Elegance is one of the USA top shows, and has included some incredible Alfa specimens from earlier than the 1960's.

This forum is my Alfa lifeline.....and CarDisc of course.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Steve,

You really have to explain how you knew that part number?????
I did numerous scans of that unfriendly DiFatta PDF without success.
It becomes too easy to "just ask Steve".

I intend to purchase that part as soon as we are back from Summer vacation in about two weeks time.

What Car Guys in JAX?
What meeting at Truffles in Mandarin, within walking distance of my house?
What Alfa folks?

I have met two other Alfa owners in JAX.
One Gent has a silver 164 and the other a Milano.

We pitch up at the many car shows that spring up in the various parking lots, as well as the major ones from time to time.
There are never any Alfas shown.
The Amelia Island Concours D'Elegance is one of the USA top shows, and has included some incredible Alfa specimens from earlier than the 1960's.

This forum is my Alfa lifeline.....and CarDisc of course.
Bill Warner who runs the Amelia Island Concours is one of the car guys. Contact him or Dan Scanlon at Herald Tribune about their brunch bunch at Truffles. Dan is prez of FFCAROC chapter, too. He has black Milano Verde.

Alfa Parts CD or ePer Alfa parts DVD are the trick to finding part numbers:

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
This thread is helpful. I too, need to replace lens on the signal....I'll probably order from IAP--if they have it. Guys, can you tell me where I might locate an owner's manual for a 91 164L? Appreciate any ideas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also, are all 164's nose-heavy?? Struts have had it--wondering if new ones will bring it up a little. Opinions?

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Springs not struts are what determines ride height.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
The nitrogen(?) overpressure in the struts is not a large force, insignificant in the support of the car. Steve is right about the springs determining the ride height. I have a tail-low 164S my wife is driving, and I suspect the springs have sagged over the years. That would have to be a mis-tempering issue unless a previous owner cut the springs or did something else strange. I'll be looking at this soon. The struts do need bump stops, and maybe that is part of your "struts have had it" comment?

Michael

1 - 10 of 10 Posts