Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Folks,

For three evenings about an hour each time I searched in vain for the reason Sophia (164B) suddenly started overheating.

As an aside some background to the issue....this hit me during a traffic snarl up early last week.
I had to turn off the engine each time the traffic stopped, eventually pulled into a strip mall and just waited for it all to clear before I continued on home at a steady pace.

Once in motion it is easy to keep the temperature within limits, its just when one is static that it soars in the FL heat.
The issue had probably existed for some time but all the time I was moving I never noticed anything amiss.....until one very hot late afternoon on the homeward commute when we ground to a standstill.

But enough guff and back to the cause.....a parted wire.

During diagnosis I must have caused the parted wire to touch intermittently because every so often the fan would start.
Then when I put it all back together again the fan would again not start.

In the end I had a constant failure at the radiator temperature sender so I figured that was the culprit.
This evening I started to unscrew the sender and discovered the parted wire, which was not apparent before I turned the unit as I unscrewed it.

This is not the first time I have been tricked by parted wires, some parted within an intact insulation sleeve too.

The only lesson learned here is perseverance.....no easy way to spot a parted wire.

I fitted a spare unit taken off my totaled Alfa but this one I can re-solder and it will no doubt "send" again in the future.

Ta,

Neville.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,009 Posts
As Dwight's rule states. "Its the ground" because that wire is the way the thermal switch carries the ground to pin 85 of low speed fan relay.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts