Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i have a V6 TB 1993 model with electronic suspension can i use lower spings on this kind of suspension or will i damage it? if yes how much can i lower it?

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
I recall reading somewhere that lowered springs would destroy the Boge struts but for the life of me I can't figure out why altering the static position of the strut or decreasing the travel range would do that?

·
Premium Member
15,887 Posts
Damage from bottoming out at the ends of the shock excursions?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so they only way is to remove the electronic suspension and install the appropriate shocks to much the lower springs i assume. Correct?

·
Premium Member
9,782 Posts
Yes. They work better on non-electronic but I prefer koni. I have them if needed.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
The problem, Dimitris, as I see it, if you use 18" wheels with tires as thin a prophylactics, then lowering springs, then koni sports, you're looking at some serious dental work and nobody will willingly ride with you.

·
Premium Member
15,887 Posts
Most figure that you will not like the combination, even if you might think it looks cool. Basically, you end up with a rough riding, tire wearing, tramlining, not fun to drive beast.

If you must lower the car, I would guess no more than an inch. More than that and you just end up with more problems.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Anyone aside me ever driven in Athens Greece? He aint going far, fast or anything like that. ciao, jc

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
17'' is my choice and will try them on first and see how they look and take it step by step.
will post pictures as soon as i am ready with the rims.
Thank you all for your input

·
Premium Member
9,782 Posts
Yes, if the streets are non good which I know in Greece they are not great, 17" is max, use 225/45/17 tires so you have something to protect the wheel and your teeth. ;)

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
17'' is my choice and will try them on first and see how they look
I went with a set of 16" Momo Aero's that I got from a friend who had them custom drilled to fit a 164-S'. Alex my buddy chose 17" wheels similar to my 16" rims. He had several issues with bent rims, one day all four got bent and he could not even remember hitting anything. I have been fortunate so far about 100 K mi without incident.

Back when the car was new, right after installing the Momo wheels I put on a set of Alfa Ricambi Sport Springs. They dropped the front end about 1.25" and the back end 1.75 inches. The look was great (totally snakey) and I ran those springs for about 65,000 miles. The only damage was caused by the tires slightly rubbing on the fender liners. About 5 years ago I had the original stock springs put back on the car and the ride is much more comfortable but the inside camber wear is actually worse! The electronic struts are still fine with about 130,000 miles on them.

Alfa164S.jpg
The look is far better with the Ricambi Springs, I drove with the car in 'Sport' mode almost 100% of the time. On the rare occasion I put the suspension in 'Auto' mode (long highway trips) the car seemed to 'pogo' after every bridge or dip in the road. Some tires were too stiff (Dunlop S-008), Michelins are just right and Pirelli P-4000's were never round for long. I have considered going back to the sport springs or perhaps cutting the stock springs just a bit...
I would not suggest 17" wheels even if you had good roads:oops:
Mark

·
Premium Member
15,887 Posts
"but the inside camber wear is actually worse"

Fix the bad toe setting. Should be about zero toe in front, if not ever so slightly pos for best front tire wear. Definitely not neg toe.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ride quality with 18" and lowering springs is not bad at all, sure it is not als soft as 15" with stock springs, but definitly not bone-breaking hard.

I had 19" before, and that was even still acceptable.

By the way, lowering springs + boge electronic struts is no problem at all, as long as you dont go too low. 3-4 cm lower is not a problem

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
"but the inside camber wear is actually worse"

Fix the bad toe setting. Should be about zero toe in front, if not ever so slightly pos for best front tire wear. Definitely not neg toe.
Thanks Del, I wish that it was that easy...all alignment values are within factory spec.s of the TSB dated 10-14-1994. Tire wear, as I understand, with improper toe would cause a 'feathered edge' appearance (actual readings L 0.03", R 0.01" and spec. says 0.00 to -2 mm) but the right was -0.74" before the last check so perhaps the wear will be less now. The front camber (actual readings L -1.9, R -1.7 degrees and spec. says -1.1 to -2.4 degrees).

Bob at AutoDelta in Atlanta mentioned something about shimming the front end or slotting the strut mounts both of which were trial and error methods. The tire wear is not all that great but when the inside edge is worn, the center and outside still has maybe 20 - 30% of the original tread. Normally I would not complain about tires that last 40,000 miles and now probably 10 or more years but I don't understand why the camber wear is worse with the stock springs. Guess I just need to go low again; see picture added to previous post...Thanks!
Mark

·
Premium Member
15,887 Posts
"all alignment values are within factory specs of the TSB dated 10-14-1994"

Good place to start, but THEN you need to slowly change the toe more to the positive side if you are still getting excessive inside tread wear. I believe that Alfa tried to compromise tire wear vs supposedly better steering response with that TSB. However, as many have found, you can still get insufficient tire tread life, esp if the toe is at the neg side of the stated TSB range.

I do think it is that easy, to just slowly increase the toe in the positive area to eliminate or at least significantly decrease that undesired inside edge wear. Works for my stock height 91S and stock height 94LS, both of which have even tire wear on 16 inch tires and unchanged neg camber, the 91S especially.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts