Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Found a v8(3 liter) to use instead. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!
I am looking for a complete swap (engine, transmission, harness and ECU)
Preferences go from Q, LS to S. I would consider an L only if the price and condition were to good to pass.
Trying to turn your abandoned project into my running project.
I am in Texas. Local is good, but shipping is not a problem, it just takes money off the table for the parts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
auto or manual trans? A family member has a VERY strong 3.0 from his 164. He wants to make space. Not sure if he still has the trans.
I don't need to source it all from one place. Looking for a manual box. What model 164 (how many valves and how many cams?)

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
I don't need to source it all from one place. Looking for a manual box. What model 164 (how many valves and how many cams?)
It was from an auto car. It's 12v.

What exactly are you putting this motor and trans into? an MR2? Fiero? Stratos rep? Or a 164? A well sorted 12V motor will make as much torque and almost as much power as a 24V...with a lot less headache.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was from an auto car. It's 12v.

What exactly are you putting this motor and trans into? an MR2? Fiero? Stratos rep? Or a 164? A well sorted 12V motor will make as much torque and almost as much power as a 24V...with a lot less headache.
Going into a stratos. If I wanted power without headaches, I would not be getting an Alfa motor :(

sohc or DOHC? I can get a sohc motor locally with transmission (in a complete car), so not really looking to ship one.

What is a lot less trouble? The 24 v motor makes 40 hp more stock. How do you add 40 hp easily to a sohc motor? Not being a smartass, really curious what you mean.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Going into a stratos. If I wanted power without headaches, I would not be getting an Alfa motor :(

sohc or DOHC? I can get a sohc motor locally with transmission (in a complete car), so not really looking to ship one.

What is a lot less trouble? The 24 v motor makes 40 hp more stock. How do you add 40 hp easily to a sohc motor? Not being a smartass, really curious what you mean.
With cams and megasquirt/other programmable injection you can easily gain 40hp over the "stock" 3.0 12v configuration (l-jet, iron manifolds). My former Milano (RIP) had megasquirt with stock 164 guts, w/ S cams, headers - yielded 217hp with only a few hours of tuning, and a massive torque curve. The price of cams and megasquirt for a 12v ain't much comparatively. If you really want to drive the car in below freezing, etc., then there is some desirable aspect to the stock Bosch FI on either system but it can be restrictive top end.

The 12V is lighter, more compact, less expensive to modify and maintain, etc. I can't imagine doing a timing belt on a 24V in a stratos rep.

If you really want a reliable monster, might want to consider the GM L67 w/ Pontiac G6 6 speed. 300+ lb ft, 240hp out of the box, 6500 RPM easy, 6 sp w/ LSD is nothing to mess with. Plus the tuning and aftermarket support is cheap. Also VERY compact motor. Makes all the right sounds w/ the proper plumbing too... here in SE Michigan there's a few of that powertrain running around (or a variant). I'm an Alfa V6 freak, but also love that L67/variant.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Doing a timing belt in a stratos is no issue. You do the timing belt before you put the motor in and it will likely be 15 years before it travels far enough to need a new belt. It is easy to pull the motor if you want to do a belt and it is much easier to get at the entire motor in a stratos than it ever was in any 164.

V8 is heavier and fits poorly, limits transmission options and sacrifices some of the "flavor" of the kit. The beauty of the busso is that it has the right # of cylinders, comes from the right country and makes some great noises.
I toyed with getting a 308QV, but they are heftier, cost more and make about the same power.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We got sidetracked, did you have a price for that motor?
I am assuming it is an L based on our discussion.
Is it complete with harness etc, or just long block?

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Doing a timing belt in a stratos is no issue. You do the timing belt before you put the motor in and it will likely be 15 years before it travels far enough to need a new belt. It is easy to pull the motor if you want to do a belt and it is much easier to get at the entire motor in a stratos than it ever was in any 164.

V8 is heavier and fits poorly, limits transmission options and sacrifices some of the "flavor" of the kit. The beauty of the busso is that it has the right # of cylinders, comes from the right country and makes some great noises.
I toyed with getting a 308QV, but they are heftier, cost more and make about the same power.

All 164 B/L/S are 12V, SOHC. All 164LS, Q motors are 24V, DOHC.

The belt needs to be changed every 5 years, max, supposedly...

V8?? L67 is a V6. Very compact one too. I know what you mean about coming from Italy though.

We got sidetracked, did you have a price for that motor?
I am assuming it is an L based on our discussion.
Is it complete with harness etc, or just long block?
It was from an L. I don't know if he has harness/etc. If you're actually interested I'll connect you two to get a price etc. He's in Ohio.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If it is complete and ready to ship (more or less) I would like to talk price. If I save enough to get cams and tuning, you may have a point about the 24v...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Still looking for a complete 164 motor. I am open to 12 v now, but am really set on trying to get the harness, ecu, AFM etc.
I want to find a v6 before I get too tempted to drop money on parts for this Fiat 2 liter twin cam that is in the car!

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
164 gearbox

my partner has rebui lt manual gearboxes if u need. email [email protected] call 321 279 0922

1 - 20 of 20 Posts