Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at an eBay auction for a 164 intermediate timing gear sprocket and wondered if it could be used in a 105-series engine? I don't have one to measure. Tooth count is the same (38/22) but would obviously need some careful machining work to retro-fit the revcounter drive gear.

Looking at the FIAT Eper catalogue, the bottom gear fitted on the end of the crankshaft also looks like a close match, and maybe even the bare camshaft sprockets.

I'm only looking at this in an attempt to eliminate as much inherited wear as possible from a planned engine rebuild, as original 750/101/105 items are proving very hard to find. So has anyone used 164 (or 75 for that matter) timing gears in a 105 engine? Any thoughts/experience welcome!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Sprockets at TS intermediate shaft are closer each others than at Nord shaft. You can press big sprocket out and put spacer in there, but the problem is that there is no woodruff key in TS things, so you really need to be sure it's still tight fit. Also 1300-1750 engines have longer shaft than 2L (Nord and TS)

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. Cutting a keyway is not a problem. So - in principle - a 164 intermediate gear set could be pressed off the 164 shaft, be adapted for a Woodruff key, then pressed onto a 105 intermediate shaft?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I think the small sprocket is the same piece with a shaft. I am not 100% sure with this, never tried press it out. Smaller sprocket is usually more worn than the big one.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bump. Still curious about this one, as I'm nearing the end of the search for new internal parts for my next engine build.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts