Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning on changing the timing belt soon....

Already have the belt, just curious if anything else has to be replaced along with the belt...
(anybody know of any manuals or directions..maybe on the web... for changing the belt...i have the 164 service manual but its for 1994 model year)

Also im planning an intensive tune up...oil change, new oil filter, new fuel filter, new spark plus, cooling system flush. Is there anything else i should consider...

thankx guys

·
Registered
36 Posts
how do i set the timing on my 1991 164s 3.0L 12V

timing jumped, i have no idea which way the cams went, no clue on crank position

where are the factory marks?

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
i think both are off, the previous owner turned the engine over by the camshafts and i don't want to risk bending the valves, should i pull the heads off? and set the cams by hand then put then back on and go from there?

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Do some reading of my posts and pictures,

Now, set crank off top dead center. If belt on remove it from cams. Carefully set front cam to 11 o'clock position so all valves are closed on front head. Set rear cam to 4 o'clock position to close all rear head valves.

Now rotate crank to TDC mark on front crank pulley, Rotate rear cam CCW to 1 o'clock position using template and with front cam still at 11 o'clock install belt and tension belt tensioner.

Rorate engine with 1 3/4" socket with plug out and recheck timing.

Now run compression test to see if any valves were bent by timing being off.

Report your findings.

·
Registered
36 Posts
"Carefully set front cam to 11 o'clock position so all valves are closed on front head. Set rear cam to 4 o'clock position to close all rear head valves."

how can all of the valves be closed at once? i'm confused.. sorry this is my first project of this magnitude

1 - 11 of 11 Posts