Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Got a new sunroof seal and my sunroof unit in my living room. Took the drive motor off so could slid it by hand - which worked fine until sliding it to the closed position. This has locked it in place. :-(
I could re-attach the drive motor and power it open but is there an easier way, with a screwdriver or something?

The other issue is, even with the sunroof out, the rear edge sits so close to the water catching plate that the seal doesn't have room to come off. Seems I need to lift up the actual sunroof itself but no visible screws or bolts to undo. A truly Alfa situation?

It's a 1995 UK spec twinspark but can't imagine even Alfa changed the spec of this between models.

Thanks in advance,

Richard

·
Premium Member
26,912 Posts
You need to reinstall the motor and control panel, then power sunroof motor with 12v through control panel to raise sunroof up to vent position. Option B install motor and use flat blade screw driver in bottom of motor to SLOWLY move sunroof mechanism but not fun way.

Now go in from each side to unlock springs and retainers for inner fabric lined panel from metal tabs bu bending tabs up slightly to be abler to pull retwiner rearward.

I remove two small allend head screws and metal cross thin fairing to give me more access.

Now, pull down spring loaded spring loaded flat belt loops off two metal bars with rollers.

Slide fabric covered panel reward to expose underside of painter sunrool panel.

Locate and remove four 8mm hexhead bolts and serrated rectangle spacers.

Remove painted panel, remove old sunroof seal and install new one.

Reinstall panel with four bolts and spacers, adjust panel to fit by adjusting each bolt and serrated spacers so sunroof fits fluch and will slide rearward and forward with 12v power. Readjust as needed.

Then rehook up two spring loaded flat fabric bands with loops on end over the two pins with lollipop rollers on ends.

Then pull spring loaded metal hooks reward and attach to sunroof mechanism frame.

check for full back and forward operation and up vent position with 12v power.

Reinstall metal cross bar and two allen heads screws.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Question regarding the cabin sunroof seal... like all trim things 164 I am guessing OE is either not available or rare as hens teeth. What is the best alternative for a '94 164? Something on a roll with the same/similar dimensions? My biggest concern is operation of the sunroof, but I am also not looking forward to the aesthetics of an unfinished looking seal inside the cabin. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
26,912 Posts
So which seal is your concern the one on upper roof panel or the one inside cabin around panel opening?

I replaced outer panel and seals on two of my free 164s recently.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's the one inside the cabin. Thanks.
Hi,

I'm confused. You show pics of what looks like the outer black rubber 'seal' around the metal sunroof but then add the note about referring to the internal seal, which sounds like the grey interior sunroof surround strip.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

I'm confused. You show pics of what looks like the outer black rubber 'seal' around the metal sunroof but then add the note about referring to the internal seal, which sounds like the grey interior sunroof surround strip.
My bad.
Just reread thread and noticed the pics were posted by Steve. Was tired :-0

·
Premium Member
26,912 Posts
I have a spare inner sun roof seal in gray from my daughter's wrecked 91 if that might be what Mistalava needs. where are you located?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Steve, can I ask if you have and, if so, how you have successfully got one of the Alfa 33/75 sunroof outer seals to fit?

I've tried silicon lube and even lithium grease to get it to at least sit in place so it can 'bed in' but not even managed to get it to sit in place. It's jamming the whole thing so much I might have to wreck it just to allow the sunroof mechanism to move enough to get the painted sunroof panel off now.

Seems crazy there is not some manufacturer somewhere in the world who makes the proper felt-edged stuff. Am at the point of considering installing an old original seal just to get the thing working properly.

Thanks,

Richard

·
Premium Member
26,912 Posts
I reused 164 seals - one I reglued fabric back to rubber on 93L one and one from a 94LS that was in good shape.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts