Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Knowing the sun roof gasket for the 164 is like a unicorn.
Has anyone found a suitable hack?
Maybe some sort of weather stripping originally purposed for door or window?

Any 'out of the box' thoughts ?

Thanks
Chris - Miami FL

·
Premium Member
15,524 Posts
You might talk to Jason "Alfissimo" about this. He has done some work on trying to find a substitute.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Jason's site is showing these as sold out. I still find it amazing that this simple weather strip is so hard to come by. Some Volvos from the same era share the same sunroof and Volvo owners have this issue too.
I tried the non-felt strip for an Alfa 75 and all I can say about that is: don't. The felt is there for a reason and the seal will strain/jam your sunroof movement without it. At least in my experience.

·
Premium Member
15,524 Posts
The weatherstrips in my 91S and 94LS sunroofs are still intact since I never use the sunroofs, only raising the rear a little in very hot weather to vent. Plus, the cars are almost always under some sort of cover, either garage or carport, to avoid sun exposure, which I believe causes much of the damage. Plus, I have car covers if needed. Excessive sun exposure can ruin exposed parts like this, as well as the interiors.

However, I hope someone finds an answer. I wonder, could the weatherstrip be 3D printed out of a soft plastic?

I personally regard sunroofs as an answer to a question few have asked.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know the dimensions of the gasket? I wonder if the shops that do custom installs of sun roofs would have something?

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Does the sob 9000 by any chance use the same gasket, or at least the same section in terms of gasket

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
I have rubber type in stock, velour type is special order, about a week or so. No saab does not fit properly.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
What is the prices of the in stock rubber type gasket?
If I were you, I would order Jason's velour/felt type. Forget the rubber only one - it will not work properly and cause issues. As far as I know, there was never a rubber only type fitted to the 164, for good reason.

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
What is the prices of the in stock rubber type gasket?
$55.00 , Felt type is $189.00

No rubber ever fitted but a cheap option for those that need one. I recommend this for folks want it sealed and never use it. Felt for those who use it.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Rubber seals squeak and creak especially in dry and dusty environments. I have to clean the rubber seal on my Jaguar and spray it with silicone several times per year and I very rarely use any sunroof. Felt is pretty much maintenance free. I find the Aerospace 303 stuff to be effective both to clean and lubricate rubber seals.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I love Aerospace 303 Protectant and use it on all the cars rubber parts, like tires, hoses, door and window gaskets. Just don't use it on the brake, gas or clutch pedals; its too slippery!

The velour gasket on my 164 is in good shape -I just need to figure out a good way to get the white car wax out of it. Anyone have a good way that works? I think a pressure washer works but it is a bit extreme.

Mark

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
I'm not familiar with the ALFA but a "failure" just popped up on my Mercedes..So the short version is I thought the seal failed cuz I was gettin' wet inside the car one morning after it had rained.. It comes to learn the "seal" is only there to keep small birds and mice out. The real work is done by the DRAIN Holes INSIDE THE ROOF .. Suggest you research that subject. The holes on my car are in the front corners of the roof opened. . They get plugged and can be cleared with a 14 gauge electrical wire. Saved a new seal and $120 PLUS installation..If the holes are clear you should be able to empty a 8 oz glass of water into the corners and watch it exit the car in the bottom rear of the front wheel well.on that side of the car.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
These 'seals' are not designed to stop water getting in but reduce wind noise. Unless your original item is falling apart I would not bother with the all rubber version - waste of money and nothing but problems from it. You have a sunroof, why pay to jam it?
If your sunroof is leaking, clean the four drain pipes, one in each corner - they usually get blocked near the outlets. The fronts outlet below the screen, behind the false fire wall - just take off the plastic cover that hides all the gubbins there. The rears exit below the boot floor, behind the rear wheels.
If you like to use your sunroof, go to Jason and order his felt item. It is expensive but seems the only option out there and well done to Jason for sourcing it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fortunately my sunroof is not leaking (hopefully I am not temping fate). I want to get the car painted - and taking out the sun roof is going to be required. I am concerned the seal gasket will fall apart in my hands, during the removal of the sun roof panel. I want to make sure I have all the bits and pieces needed to reinstall the sunroof panel correctly. I still need to check with my Alfa Mechanic if he has an used gasket from on of his donor cars.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I'd be very surprised if sun roof felt seal is Alfa specific. Your bodyshop should have a source for replacement material. It has to be custom cut to fit the opening anyway.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I am constantly surprised at how hard it is to get this weather strip with felt. It affects both 164 and certain Volvo cars from that era, that all shared the same sunroof. The only custom cutting required is the correct length to go around the sliding roof panel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts