Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
EnjoyingSportingLuxury
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me know here or respond to my post in classifieds forum for my USA '93 164L 3.0L V6 12V..

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hi, I saw your classified posting. I recently lowered my 1991 164L with B&G springs and Koni struts. Keep in mind the L being an auto transmission is a little heavier in the front and therefore a little lower when lowered than a B or S with a 5 speed. Stock clearance from ground to the oil pan is 5.5 inches; lowered an inch gives you 4.5 inches; the pan guard hangs about 1.5 inches below the oil pan. Basically in the end you end up with the pan guard being 3 inches off of the ground. I am going to install the one that I picked up a few weeks ago this weekend and will let you know the exact clearance from the ground I end up with. I am afraid that It is going to be so close to the ground but is still better than hitting the oil pan.

·
EnjoyingSportingLuxury
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx Steve. I'm using H&R springs w/ Koni yellow adjustables; so, I await your findings. Also, I think I learned many years ago (possibly from Michelle in parts at Spruell in Atlanta) that the sumps were redesigned in late '92 or early '93 to provide more clearance. Seems I was told to look and see if the sump was lower than the front flex pipe, or not. I never had any reason to check that all out; so, I don't claim to know for sure. Do you know anything about this?
Regards, Ralph

·
Premium Member
27,456 Posts
Yes, your 93 has bacically a 7 qt sump instead of earlier 8 qt sump so pan has lower drop and a resigned pick up tube.

Not to say with lowering springs you can not still crack a pan on speed bumps and concrete parling lot wheel stops but it should not be quite as dangerous are earlier 164s.

I expect the pan guards I and Steve in C-ville may offered a bit of over protection for a later 164 12v don't know if 24v have same pan drop as later 12v or not.

If you have a pan guard made for later 164 it probably could be closer to pan and may not hit the street as easy as original Alfa Ricambi pan quard.

I ended up putting stock struts and springs back on my 164B because I was hitting pan guard and di not like ride of lowering Eibach springs.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Steve, how much clearance did you actually end up with from the ground to the pan guard? Was the guard actually hitting the ground under normal driving conditions? I love the way my car handles and the stance it has being lowered with the B&Gs but I am getting a little concerned for my oil pan. Would it be possible if one were to come across a 1993+ oil pan and pick up tube to fit it to a 1991? Just thinking of possible future modifications.

·
Premium Member
27,456 Posts
Steve, how much clearance did you actually end up with from the ground to the pan guard? Was the guard actually hitting the ground under normal driving conditions? I love the way my car handles and the stance it has being lowered with the B&Gs but I am getting a little concerned for my oil pan. Would it be possible if one were to come across a 1993+ oil pan and pick up tube to fit it to a 1991? Just thinking of possible future modifications.
It only hits when I drive to fast into low dips for storm water drainage we have between some streets around here. I have hit pan guard on roads around C-ville once in awhile driving a little to spirted in trail formation with other italian cars.

As for 93 shallow pan you need engine front cover to match it as bolt pattern different acoss the front and different pick up tube off pump.

I wouldn't get to worried about guard hitting unless road have big dips.

It is a pan and down pipe saver if you happen to drive to far into a parking space with high concrete front wheel stoppers, too.

·
Premium Member
16,447 Posts
LOL, what, you guys drive like maniacs or something? In 40+ years of driving all models of Alfas, I've never hit the sump on anything. I've always thought that sump guards caused more impacts because of their reduced clearances, and that could cause damage to the frames they are attached to.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Del, I have never actually hit anything either, even with it lowered. Im actually fairly confident that I would wack the lower bumper spoiler and/or the front tow hook well before anything got close to the oil sump but i would always rather be safe that sorry. I would actually worry more about hitting something from underneath when the road dips or rises and the suspension travels, as seems to have been the only time steve had any problems.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Are you kidding? I think the oil sumps on these cars were built pretty low for a 4dr passenger sedan. You gotta admit the cars sit really low for stock struts. And, i just had to repair my oil sump because it was leaking oil from cracks. Obviously, caused by my wreckless driving around streets in San Francisco, i was unable to make a U-turn, so i drove up someones driveway at about 12mph and put a bunch of cracks on my pan. Nothing that draining the oil out and welding it together wont fix!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Sump Guard Installed

I finally got a chance to install the sump guard this weekend; although I haven’t measured yet it doesn’t leave much clearance from the ground but I haven’t had any problems with scraping it yet. It was fairly easy to install, I put the car up on jack stands and used my jack to raise the guard into place then drilled the holes and bolted it up.

Attachments

·
EnjoyingSportingLuxury
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finally got a chance to install the sump guard this weekend; although I haven’t measured yet it doesn’t leave much clearance from the ground but I haven’t had any problems with scraping it yet. . . .
Thx for th' update. Plz report ground clearance when ya get a chance.
BTW, are your B&G fronts progressive rates?
Regards, Ralph

1 - 11 of 11 Posts