Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a new or good used "hexagonal" steering rack mounting bushing for a 164.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Steve,

Do you still need one? If you are, and do you mean the rubber insert that wraps around the rack before the metal clamp goes on, I think I have one. Let me know and I'll go and look for it - assuming I haven't thrown it of course.

Best regards,

Richard

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I am still in need of the pentagonal rubber sleeve that wraps around the rack on the left side between the mounting strap and mounting base. I can also use a good circular sleeve for the right side, as well, but it is the left side pentagonal one that is in most dire need of replacement.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Richard,
My address is:
Steve O'Brien
823 Monticello Dr.
Escondido, CA 92029
How much should I send for the part and shipping, and to where?:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Steve, I'll check out the cost of postage tomorrow and if it is not too much, have it as a treat on me. Sad day tomorrow, my Alfa is going to the scrap yard and getting a Jaguar X-type instead.
Richard

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Richard,
Sorry to hear about another one biting the dust. It is getting harder all of the time to keep them on the road. Both my wife and daughter drive 164L's, and I've been shocked as to how many parts have gone into the "no longer available" status lately. It is much easier to get parts for my '71 GTV than the 164's now. Parts for my '59 Spider 2000 remain very hard to find, but that has always been the case, and is not a surprise. Thanks for your help keeping at least another 164 on the road awhile longer, and good luck with the Jaguar... they're pretty slick rides!:cool:

·
Premium Member
6,187 Posts
steve

When you get that bushing, can I have a look at it before you install it?
Given the scarcity of that bushing, I am going to see if I can get some made; but I need to make a drawing of it first

let me know, thanks Bob

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will do, Bob. I was thinking we need a casting mold, then maybe a urethane part could be cast (?). The rack in my wife's car shifts left and right a smidge due to the worn-out bushings, but the replacement can wait a little while as we use this one as a pattern...as long as it is non-destructive!:)
I'll let you know when I receive it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The rubber has been posted today and hope you get it soon. Great to hear that it will be used for reproducing copies but might be a bit difficult to get the right density for the rubber.
It is a reat pity that there is so little interest in the UK for the 164.
Good luck guys.
Best regards,
Richard King

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Richard,
I received the bushing in today's mail. Thank you so very much for sending it -- and so quickly, too!.
Bob,
Give me a call at 760 746 6919 and we'll discuss how we can best use this part as a pattern to produce more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts