Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, does anyone has pictures how low pressure hoses are router under/over steering rack?

Mine was rubbing against rack after subframe removal. So now it leaks.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
These pictures may or may not help. They are from my 1992 164-S from when I had the engine out and power steering rack rebuilt.
You may be able to use your old hoses, if you still have, them as a guide to show you how to route the new hoses.

I remember feeling like I did not take enough or good enough pictures but it all went back together pretty well. Only the 'dampener' does not seem to be as effective as it used to be for some reason...probably should have removed it prior to shipping the rack out to be rebuilt.

power steering rack 1.jpg

Power steering supply line 2.jpg

Rack with dampener as removed 3.jpg

Good luck,

Mark

·
Registered
3,681 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Here's a few pics from when I had red's engine out. Dirty pics are as it existed, clean pics are as I installed it.

I installed the new large low pressure hose from pump to reservoir (the big two-piece deal with restrictor) differently than how it previously existed - I routed it behind the rack rather than in front. I'm not sure that this is the better way, but it seemed like there was plenty of room back there, and it removed potential for rubbing at front of rack. Also it moved the hose further from the exhaust manifold.

I also installed a sleeve on the small low pressure hose from rack to cooler loop in an effort to further protect the hose from any chaffing that it might experience, if it found something to start rubbing against.

These pics are from a '91 164S - later 24v cars may be slightly different?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
That looks good Andy. Where did you get the sleeve that you used to protect the low pressure line?

I thought that the low pressure 'feed' line just had a union installed in it by the previous mechanic who pulled the steering rack the 1st time it had to be rebuilt. I am not sure what purpose a restrictor would serve in the supply line. I bought a new fabric covered feed line from Alfissimo Int. unfortunately the I.D. was too small so I used the original hose.

Mark

·
Registered
279 Posts
The sleeve came from McMaster Carr. Search their site for "Abrasion-Resistant Sleeving", and it should pop up.

The big low pressure supply line came with the restrictor from the factory. I don't know the science behind it, but I'm sure its there for a reason. If I remember correctly, there's been other threads and discussion about it here, with some explanation as to why it is there and what it does. I replaced this hose material with hose of suitable size from a local industrial hose shop - the same place I had rebuild the high-pressure hose.

For the smaller low pressure hoses, I used BMW power steering hose, 12mm x 18mm, sourced from Pelican Parts. It fit perfectly. Before I found the BMW hose, I had ordered some Earl's hose, but found the ID to be slightly too small/tight.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
The sleeve came from McMaster Carr.
The big low pressure supply line came with the restrictor from the factory. I don't know the science behind it, but I'm sure its there for a reason.
I bought a NOS high pressure hose on eBay. Fortunately when the new fabric covered hose didn't fit, the factory hose and restrictor device/union were reused. It sure would be a pain to try and install a restrictor and sleeve now. I could not imagine trying to pull and replace the steering rack with the engine in the car. It almost seemed to be an impossible job.

Mark

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
I once watched Carlo replace the rack in his brother's 164 while laying on his back on the shop floor, with just the front end of the car jacked up a little. He kept mumbling about forgetting just how to do it, either that or there was a lot of swearing in Italian going on, lol.

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
only one restrictor in the 24V PS circuit -- high pressure line, its there to reduce the pressure and thereby reduce cavitation. It really is needed otherwise you are on the cusp of cavitating.

·
Registered
816 Posts
If you are able to search this forum, I posted a whole "How To" piece here last year - removing the rack out the passenger side, photos and all.

Regarding the hoses and routing, I recall both LP and HP hoses running to the rear of the rack, like ANDYM's photo, but how they wrapped around each other at the ends wasn't clear or easy - it was something I fiddled with a good amount of time, until the banjo fitting ends fell naturally on the ports without needing to be forced much to align. Those two fittings near the steering input knuckle were almost impossible to thread until the banjos were aligned.

Here are two photos at the driver's side of the rack..

Attachments

·
Registered
816 Posts
Lastly, here are some photos at the passenger side / at the PS pump end. 1st is with rack and banjo fittings on PS pump still in place. 2nd and 3rd pics are with the rack and oil filter removed and I have disconnected one of the banjo fittings at the PS pump and raised it up out of the way..

Hope this helps.
- Art

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for help. I Had to remove PS reservoir and re-route thick low pressure hose.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts