Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this is a silly question but I couldn't really find any information on the topic. Is it possible to convert the front seats to manually operate? Both the motors in my mothers 164 are not functioning and it is difficult to find replacement parts. We are going to take it to a mechanic but she would rather have old fashioned manually operated seats. She doesn't really care much for the heater nor the lumbar and raising/ lowering functions, just wants to be able to move it back and recline. If anyone could shed any light on this it would be helpful.
Also, I know there is the option of finding new seats but she loves the leather Recaros as do I being a passenger. If there are good replacements however I think she would consider it.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
27,458 Posts
What year is her 164, 91-93 or 94-95? Different seats for each.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Isn't this the 164S with transplanted front optional Recaro seats?

If no function at all check fuses then test wiring loom for power feed under driver seat.

·
Premium Member
16,456 Posts
Also just might be that the seat control switches are not functioning due to dirty/contaminated contacts. Typical problem with these cars. The switches can be removed and checked for functionality, and by jump wiring the wires going to the various switches, the motors for the seats can also be checked. I suspect the problem is of the above, and not nonfunctioning seats themselves.

The switches can be repaired easily. Otherwise they cost ~$30 or each. If nothing else, if the switches are bad, you could just jump wire the seat control wires to "manually" adjust the seats to where she wants them, and then forget fixing the switches.

I don't think there are any manual seats for the 164's sold in the US?

·
Registered
264 Posts
maybe the motors are stuck?
mine has *both* the height adjustment motors stuck. you should beat them with a screwdriver or a rubber hammer while mantaining the switch pressed. after a few moments they suddenly came back to life!

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
All NA spec 164 came with power seats. Conversion to full manual operation is likely to be impossible.

I concur with Del, dirty seat switch internal contacts is likely the fault. They come apart fairly easily if you pry the plastic cover off very carefully. The cover snaps on and off, no fasteners. Then remove the silly clear plastic dust "protector" and spray liberally with contact cleaner (tape head cleaner works well if you can find any) while operating the microswitch to clean the tiny contact faces. The switch looks like it contains an internal relay judging by the whacking great contact tabs on the bottom, which are not the switch contacts but feed the power to the seats, perhaps by other relays. The microswitch that corrodes carries very little current I suspect and not much corrosion would be needed to block that.

There is also a recognized fault in the 91 - 93 cars where the seat motor might "end out" at the end of its range of motion. ARDONA built a bunch of "magic boxes" (I think they were blue) to put under each front seat. These momentarily reversed the seat motors when the switch was released to prevent the motor getting to a dead end and sticking. My blue boxes went in as soon as ARDONA provided them, years ago under warranty and have worked ever since.

I have cleaned and replaced the switches on my 91L many times. The motors have never failed in 20 years and 200,000 km.

·
Registered
398 Posts
As Del said, it's probably that control switches are not functioning due to dirty. It is easy DYI task. I just did it on driver seat. It stopped working the other day. With all the fuses checked ok, the next thing I decided was to clean the switch.
I have removed total of 4 screws for easy acces to switches, sprayed the switch contacts with electrical connection cleaner, blow with compressed air and switch started working. It took me 10 minutes. I hope this works for you as well.

Forgive me if this is a silly question but I couldn't really find any information on the topic. Is it possible to convert the front seats to manually operate? Both the motors in my mothers 164 are not functioning and it is difficult to find replacement parts. We are going to take it to a mechanic but she would rather have old fashioned manually operated seats. She doesn't really care much for the heater nor the lumbar and raising/ lowering functions, just wants to be able to move it back and recline. If anyone could shed any light on this it would be helpful.
Also, I know there is the option of finding new seats but she loves the leather Recaros as do I being a passenger. If there are good replacements however I think she would consider it.
Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
if not check the switches it could be the modules either inside the seat or under the carpet
i have 3 164 had a hard time finding them at first i found the one in my 91 164s was rusted from the previous owner leaving the windows down when it rained =[

i to want to convert my seats because i have checked all my switches and done all i could
and only got 2 driver seats working not the passenger seats which make my lady friends uncomfortable

1 - 8 of 8 Posts