Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a proven good method that removes the 164 S stripping around the lower cladding? I have some thoughts but wanted to see if there was a good method to remove it without too much harm to the paint.

Adhesive remover and heat gun come to mind.

Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have done this a few times, it is really annoying to say the least. This what I did with fairly good results. Soak the strip with Goo Gone then heat it up with a heat gun. You will stat to see the strip bubble (that is the adhesive letting go) keep moving down the cladding so it doesnt burn. Then saturate it with more goo gone and with a razor start to peal back one side. If you are lucky you can get the whole strip at once. The rear bumper is the worst because the strip is so long. I just sanded the strip off and repainted the whole bumper with SEM 39033, looks great! I would just remove all the bumpers sand them down and respray them.

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have done this a few times, it is really annoying to say the least. This what I did with fairly good results. Soak the strip with Goo Gone then heat it up with a heat gun. You will stat to see the strip bubble (that is the adhesive letting go) keep moving down the cladding so it doesnt burn. Then saturate it with more goo gone and with a razor start to peal back one side. If you are lucky you can get the whole strip at once. The rear bumper is the worst because the strip is so long. I just sanded the strip off and repainted the whole bumper with SEM 39033, looks great! I would just remove all the bumpers sand them down and respray them.
That is exactly what I have been doing today without any goo gone.

I have a case os the SEM 39033 and the other number for the lower spoiler for a complete repaint of bumpers, cladding and spoilers. I have already started sanding this week.
Thanks Anthony! I will give it a try. Might go to the autobody store and see if they have a adhesive remover that works fast!
Jason

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Jason & Anthony: Please post pics of the cladding painted. I think I will be doing the same thing to the ole ladys' 164S in the spring!

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jason & Anthony: Please post pics of the cladding painted. I think I will be doing the same thing to the ole ladys' 164S in the spring!

No problem. I will post asap. Rain in the forecast (yeah it rains in Phoenix from time to time:p) for a few days so I am shot for the weekend, poop!~ Only sanding and strip removing for now!:)

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, that was a piece of cake. Thought it was going to be a Bit*h!
took me less than five minutes to do all 6 panels, Will work on bumpers next,
Little heat gun, peel up and done.

To easy to have posted this. lol!
Jason

1 - 6 of 6 Posts