Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on my newly acquired 91' 164 S and noticed the air flow meter top cover was loose and it appears the PO had been in there messing with the setting. Is there any was to know where it was set in a stock position? The car ran real rich for a smog check and I suspect this may have been a big part of that.

·
Premium Member
26,822 Posts
I'm working on my newly acquired 91' 164 S and noticed the air flow meter top cover was loose and it appears the PO had been in there messing with the setting. Is there any was to know where it was set in a stock position? The car ran real rich for a smog check and I suspect this may have been a big part of that.

Does your S AFM also have a allen head adjustment screw under a round aluminum plug for idle air bypass, older L-jetronic ones did but B/L AFM's don't? If so, I suspect that may have been tapered with or else a cheapo chip installed in ECU (more likely) and these causing rich conditions.

Adjusting tension on clock spring under black cover may have some effect on richness but I don't now how you could determine factory setting without a test bench to set it to factory specs.

Another thing to check is that min/max switch on throttle body set correctly so it clicks off 1 to 0 degrees and on >1 degrees.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts