Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, all you S owners!

I wanted to get the thoughts of folks on the list about the electronic suspension. Mine defaults to SPORT occasionally without any real reason (major bump or something like that), so I'm hoping its a dirty or loose connection somewhere. On LA's awful roads, I find the AUTO setting much more pleasant for day to day driving, and SPORT when I'm on twisty roads.

1. Is your suspension working properly? (mileage too would be interesting to know!)

2. Would you repair it if it defaulted to SPORT all the time?

3. OEM repairs (new Alfa struts) or aftermarket?

Thanks!

Paul H.
'91 164 S, 65K

·
Registered
179 Posts
1. Is your suspension working properly?
Yes & 100K miles. For some reason when I bought the car the control unit in the right-rear of the trunk was disconnected. I plugged it back in and everything has worked perfectly for the last 13k miles.

Probably. I prefer the Auto setting so unless it was an expensive repair I would probably go for it. This would greatly depends on the exact problem though.

Unfortunately NEW S struts are outrageously expensive and hard to find. You can find them used, but the problem with that is that they are, well, used. So its hard to know how long they are really going to last. Although I like the electronic setup, if one of my struts goes bad I'll probably buy the Konis and sell the OEM struts to someone else who needs them.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
1. Is your suspension working properly? (mileage too would be interesting to know!)

Yes. (wife's car) 80k miles '92S -- I had to replace the rear springs(!) to get the ride to be reasonable. It was too squirrely in high-speed turns otherwise.

Yes. Of course, that depends up on _me_ being able to repair it. I'd give it my best shot. My wife prefers the softer "auto" setting, and the car is for her.

I'd always search for the electronic struts because of the coolness factor. I couldn't buy new ones, but I do have a small stock of used ones for time of need.

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
1. Is your suspension working properly?
Yes & 100K miles. For some reason when I bought the car the control unit in the right-rear of the trunk was disconnected. I plugged it back in and everything has worked perfectly for the last 13k miles.

Probably. I prefer the Auto setting so unless it was an expensive repair I would probably go for it. This would greatly depends on the exact problem though.

Unfortunately NEW S struts are outrageously expensive and hard to find. You can find them used, but the problem with that is that they are, well, used. So its hard to know how long they are really going to last. Although I like the electronic setup, if one of my struts goes bad I'll probably buy the Konis and sell the OEM struts to someone else who needs them.
Maybe several issues. Uwe will find it.
I suggest if the struts are good to leave them. it is a nice option to have. Although I have to admit that the Koni's are fantastic and may be a better strut it may not be what your totally looking for. Koni in it's full soft mode would be some where like Auto., but could surpass sport mode by a long shot. So the nice thing with koni is there is more range and you can find that nice medium but you have to adjust them at every corner. not hard at all but not as easy as a button.
Auto is one setting sport is one, thats it. Koni gives you a wide range and is a lifetime strut too so that is great.
Pretty much as long as Koni is in business you will always have struts. 20 years down the road if one goes bad you send it in they rebuild it and your good.

Not sure how long sachs will supply the electronic struts. I carry them for a lot less than most but yes they are still pricey! All electronic struts are.

So IMO I would wait until all or a pair of struts are bad and take your pick OEM or Koni, thats all you have.

Ciao!
Jason

·
Premium Member
15,529 Posts
The struts in my 91S still work fine at 140k miles (ok, one was replaced only because of a small leak but otherwise it was fine and I keep it as a spare). If the system switched to "sport" from "auto" due to a fault or solenoid failure, I would not repair it as I prefer the "sport" setting for all my driving anyway.

I found that the Konis, set to about 2/3-3/4, seem to equal the "sport" setting of the S with about 100k miles on the struts, all other things being equal. Tells me that the high mileage S struts are still good.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Yes. 180K miles, I suspect previous owner changed it at some point.

No. Now it only happens after about 4-5 hours of continuous driving.

Konis + B&G with spacer to lift the car a little.

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
Yes. 180K miles, I suspect previous owner changed it at some point.

Only after about 4-5 hours of continuous driving.

Konis + B&G with spacer to lift the car a little.
You do not need those spacers that koni supplies with their struts. it raises the rear too high like an LS>

Jason

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I like the sport setting.

1.Yes. 80k miles 95 164 Q4.

2.Yes I would have to fix them.

3.OEM would be my first choice but after market's are good if you like to alter your car.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Is your suspension working properly? (mileage too would be interesting to know!)
Yes. 91S with 143K Although the Auto setting is getting a little less compliant.
No. I would replace at this point
I would goe with after market and upgrade other parts of the suspension. THE OEMs are just too expensive.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts

Seems to be, but the rear struts in the "auto" mode are verrrry soft--Feels like an old Buick. The Alfa has 163,000.

Probably only if the struts themselves were leaking.

I would definitely lean towards the OEM. My 164S has three different drivers, my daughter and I prefer "sport", while my wife prefers "auto".

·
Registered
460 Posts

Yes, 147k miles - struts are all original. In auto mode at times the right front seems weak. This was noticed after running the car in Detroit.

I tried doing the trouble shooting on a customers S and the manual was not that helpful. I would repair the system as long as the struts are sound.

I have purchased the Koni rears in preparation for that time. I also have L used front struts. I would add some performance springs and the Koni's and not miss the eletronic version.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
1995 164q (130k)

The sport suspension on the S and Q are similar as far as I know. My 1995 164Q suspension is working as intended. I enjoy being able to switch between "auto" and "sport" at will. There is a definate difference between the two, at least on my car.

If the car switched to sport at random times, I would suspect that it was more of an electrical problem, rather than a problem with the actual struts. Therefore, changing struts may not solve the problem. (of course, changing to Koni's eliminates the electronic circuit, so the problem is "solved." However, it is my understanding that you also have to change the spindles to 164L or base models, so the expected cost savings may not be realized.

If I had to change shocks on my car, I would opt for the electronic adjustable models for two reasons. One, it would keep the car more "stock." Second, I'm not sure if I would want the "sport" setting all of the time. If I'm driving on the a bad freeway, I would prefer the auto setting to keep my fillings in place. But if I'm on a twisty road, I prefer the sport setting. I'm not sure if I would like to comprimise by only getting to pick one or the other.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Yes it does, just had front shocks replaced, rear were replaced by previous owner about three years ago.
386000 km, equals bout 240000 miles.

I'd probably have shocks replaced if the fault was somewhere other than connections. Probably a set of adjustable Konis or something.

I had original spares installed. Ordered from Alfa-Service.de in Germany.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Yes. 157K

No. I only use it in Sport and feel Auto is mushy I think I'd go for B&G or Koni. I still think my L handles better than S on Sport. I've replaced a few things on the S and it's still not as tight so it may still need new springs or bump stops.

Konis + B&G or even stock L's if I were in cash crunch mode since I like the way the L rides.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
My 91S has about 145,000 miles. The struts did not switch when I got it 7 years ago with 90,000 miles. I replaced several struts and had it working for a while.

Now however, the red light comes on (and the car stays in sport) after 3 or 4 miles of driving. One of my shocks seems to be operating intermittently. When it fails to switch, the car puts all 4 into sport mode until you shut it off.

Would I fix it? I have too many other priorities now. If it were my best car, probably. But now I have a 95 LS, so the 91S, which has been driven through a lot of New York winters and has the rust to prove it, is relegated to the role of winter car.

But a **** fine winter car!

Rex in Albany

1 - 15 of 15 Posts