Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

My '91 164 S now has a new clutch master and slave cylinder and removed the damper, and my pedal now feels like it should....good feel, and it returns normally.

The clutch engagement however is still near the top of the pedal travel...I read previous posts about people having the pedal engage near the floor. It's not that bad, but my driveway is steep, and I can smell the clutch a bit when I have to head up it

Is this adjustable? Does it need to be bled again? The car has 65K on it, so I doubt it needs a new clutch.

Should I just get used to it?

Cheers,
Paul H.

·
Premium Member
27,320 Posts
Clutch is not adjustable. I think your clutch disc must be worn down considerable for engagement to be near top of pedal travel.

If you are smelling clutch disc it maybe slipping going up steep incline.

Get used to it until it slips bad enough to have to change it, but you may not be far away from that day.

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
Clutch is not adjustable. I think your clutch disc must be worn down considerable for engagement to be near top of pedal travel.

If you are smelling clutch disc it maybe slipping going up steep incline.

Get used to it until it slips bad enough to have to change it, but you may not be far away from that day.
I agree. I think the clutch is worn. Might want to try bleeding the clutch Slave again while up in the air so no air can enter the system, maybe that will help slightly but typically it is a sign of a worn clutch.
Jason

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I don't know if your clutch is wornout or not, really. My clutch is only months old and it engages near the top but, my car is an L which uses the opposite arm movement to operate the clutch. I also have a steep driveway and I just don't try to start off from the middle or upper part of my drive. I go all the way down to the bottom where it is less steep and start there because I have smelled my clutch before when I don't do this and that is not good. :eek: The 164 clutch is not the easiest one to start on a hill because of the V6's power, you have to let it out kind of fast, IMHO. You probably have many more miles to go a 164 clutch with 65k on it, as long as don't smoke it too many times. :eek:
Charles

1 - 4 of 4 Posts