Alfa Romeo Forums banner

164 S cams - NOS Alfa

For Sale 
2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  kraziKiwi 
#1 ·
One pair of 164 S cams for sale. They are New Old Stock Alfa. Fits all 2.5 and 3.0 L 2 cam v6 engines (1981 to 1993). Replace your worn cams and get more power - make sure you use the proper oil as well... Discontinued. $1100 or best offer.

#3 ·
Look for oils with about1200ppm or more of zinc in the form of ZDDP. All of the "energy conserving" oils have less (alot less) of that zinc in them and eat up cam lobes and lifters as a result. Try oils for "older" cars or diesels.

#7 ·
In the USA all the common brands went to the energy conserving type....one of the features of this change was reduction in zinc (via ZDDP). That zinc is what keeps our cams working well.

Castrol as well as others have versions of their oils with the right amount of ZDDP. They also have energy conserving versions that don't have enough and are mosly not of a weight that we would use anyhow .

This is a recent change in the oils as of the last few years.

#8 · (Edited)
"There's a guy with 385,000 miles on a 164 running Castrol"

Remember, he was running the old Castrol, not the new stuff. They do have a new synthetic for older flat tappet cars, but I think it is pretty pricey if the car uses oil, as does my 91S, ~500 miles per QT. I use the Valvoline VR-1 racing oil in it, as it costs half as much, has the proper amounts of the good antiwear additives.

For the Milano and the 94LS, both of which use no oil between changes, I do use the much more expensive Mobil 1 15W-50 (with longer times between changes), which also has the proper amount of the same antiwear additives.

#10 ·
ALL - the reading Ive seen re oil additives - zinc especially - point to NOT using these with catalytics due to the interplay between the zinc and the catalytic chemicals. Moly additives should be used... Ciao

#11 · (Edited)
Aftermarket additives may be a problem, as the user may put in far more than is required, thus damaging the cat. Commercial lubricants using specific amounts of those additives as added during production of their product are much less likely to cause any problems.

My 91S has consumed gallons (somewhere around 70 @500 miles to the qt over 150k miles) of the older high zinc level Castrol through the years, with no ill effect on the cat, as measured by the testing stations it has to see every couple of years. The printed out records show no degradation of the cat's effectiveness. It remains to be seen if having switched to the Valvoline VR1 will make a difference the next time around.

I wonder if these cams would give our 89 Milano a little sparkle. Seems that the 86 GTV6 we had was just a little more spritely in engine response. Was just a little disappointed in that with the Milano. About the same difference as with the change from the 1975 Alfetta sedan we had to the later 1978 sedan. The 75 just had a little more sparkle in driving. Then again, although I haven't bothered to look it up, maybe it was just a change in rear end ratio that did it.

#12 ·
Hello do these cams require a different programm to be installed or is it a direct fit and does not need any alteration in the ECU?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.