Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do 164s have a tendency to wear the rear tyres fairly quickly compared to the fronts? Mine and my brother's seem to. The wear is pretty even. Is this normal, or does it indicate a problem? We both had Toyo Teo Plus tyres on our cars. I put a couple of spare wheels on the back of mine with 3/4 worn Bridgestones on them and they have lasted maybe 5,000 km which could be due to their existing wear of course. Perhaps I need harder wearing tyres than the Toyos.

·
1991 164L
27,635 Posts
Do 164s have a tendency to wear the rear tyres fairly quickly compared to the fronts? Mine and my brother's seem to. The wear is pretty even. Is this normal, or does it indicate a problem? We both had Toyo Teo Plus tyres on our cars. I put a couple of spare wheels on the back of mine with 3/4 worn Bridgestones on them and they have lasted maybe 5,000 km which could be due to their existing wear of course. Perhaps I need harder wearing tyres than the Toyos.
No if rear tow in is set correctly about 4-6 mm and fronts are spot on at near 0 toe.

I suggest 4-wheel thrust alignment to ensure car is tracking correctly.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Front tire wear is normally about 3 times the rate of rear tire wear.

I confirm Alfisto's "ideal" alignment numbers. I use a very reliable shop who humour my requests and the results are adequate tire wear on the front and almost normal tire wear on the rear. Of course, I rotate them front to back twice per year and run two sets of tires, winter and summer, so it is hard to get an accurate number on the relative wear.

By rotating front to rear frequently you should experience less of the negative camber wear on the front tires as the rears tend to even that out. Zero toe on the front also evens out that camber wear as zero toe means dynamically there will be some positive toe in under most driving conditions.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I must admit that I don't know exactly how many kilometres the Toyos did but they certainly seemed to wear down faster than the Toyo Proxes T1Rs on my 75 which still have plenty of tread. The tyre guy was surprised because the Proxes are a performance tyre. He suggested that maybe the Toyo Teos are not ideally suited to the 164. He is highly experienced and I have been dealing with him for years, so I value his opinion. I will buy some different tyres this time, get the wheel alignment checked and keep a record of the mileage. How many km do you guys generally get out of your tyres?

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Michael sums it up pretty well in my experience. I have access to a high quality 4 wheel alignment machine at our local vocational school. I run 0 toe in the front and 4 mm in the rear with stock wheels and 195/65-15 tires. It all goes south with 16-7.5 wheels and mongo tires. Then I run 3 mm in the rear. Tire wear is still heavy on the inside fronts. It takes a lot of rotations for me to maximize tire life.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My tyres are 205/50/16s and my brother has stock rims with 205/55/15s. We both had the Teos and the wear rate seems to have been about the same, so it could just be those particular tyres.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
One thing I have noticed is the 164 doesn't like "hard shoulder" tires. The stock Goodyear NCT that came with my 164 from the factory had sharp corners at the edges of the tread, but not for long!

I replaced them with Pirelli P 6000 which were "soft shoulder" tires (with rounded corners at the edges of the tread) and these wear much more evenly. I have fitted P6000 ever since as well as the excellent Pirelli snow tires for winter: the 210P (brilliant tire for snow) the 210A (Assimetrico, pre-cursor to the current Sottozero and also excellent) and the Snowsport 210 (Pirelli's worst snow tire for many years but still a good one and truly excellent on bare roads which is where I suspect Pirelli was aiming this particular tire). All had relatively soft shoulders and wore reasonably well if rotated regularly ("twice" a year in my case in that each September they were fitted to alternate axles and so were the summers so no tire ran more than 10,000 km (6,000 miles) without a rotation to the other end of the car).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts