Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Has anyone tried to make a new radio door flap using 3D printing?

Would be interesting as could even choose a more temperature stable material.

·
Registered
5,937 Posts
The substrate plastic is stable-/ the goo on the outside can be easily removed with acetone . Then u are left with a very nicely finished plastic part

Reactions: Evgeny 164

·
Premium Member
16,166 Posts
Yup, same goo as on the 91/92/93 164 overhead switch panel surround. Evil stuff, but easily removed. Have no idea what they were thinking.

·
Premium Member
16,166 Posts
Sometimes they sure get it right, otherwise we wouldn't be fans of the marque, would we, lol.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
The substrate plastic is stable-/ the goo on the outside can be easily removed with acetone . Then u are left with a very nicely finished plastic part
Isn't acetone a bit harsh for the plastic underneath?

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Yup, same goo as on the 91/92/93 164 overhead switch panel surround. Evil stuff, but easily removed. Have no idea what they were thinking.
And on the 159, the numbnuts at Alfa repeated the experience by coating door pull and window switch surrounds with the same nasty goo....! :crying2:

·
Registered
656 Posts
This is just in time , I am looking for it replacement .:wink2:

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
This is just in time , I am looking for it replacement .:wink2:
I used ethyl alcohol. Didn't craze the plastic and took the goo off really well. I'm pretty sure that with acetone you risk crazing the plastic. Whatever you use, I would test a bit on the underside just in case.

·
Registered
5,937 Posts
Well I've only done it 4times on 4 different cars with acetone so you are probably right, it probably doesn't work well.

·
Premium Member
16,166 Posts
I didn't have acetone, so I used some alcohol, and that worked ok.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Well I've only done it 4times on 4 different cars with acetone so you are probably right, it probably doesn't work well.
Sorry didn't mean to doubt/offend. Acetone normally crazes or melts plastics. I was just concerned it would do the same in this case but if it worked for you then great!

·
Registered
5,937 Posts
No worries v6- not offended -- Here's a photo of my current one, cleaned about 8 years ago.

that little bump on the ashtray top is from previous owner putting a burn mark on the underside !

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
I was just concerned it would do the same in this case but if it worked for you then great!
You just have to be careful not to overdo the cleaning, then the plastic should be fine. It is important to know when the top layer is gone, so you don't rub it on the plastic.

·
Registered
5,937 Posts
Allan yes, and to clean the narrow grooves I used a toothpick to run it down the grooves after using a toothbrush with acetone on it as an initial cleaner. The stuff comes off and sticks to everything so use paper towels or cotton cloths that aren't needed

Whole process takes < 5 minutes

And if anyone wants a spare door that you will have to clean, I have one to send to you for shipping cost plus a cup of coffee. Heck if you make it enough for me to buy a beer I might even clean it for you!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts