Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone racing or time trialing a 164. I'd like to hear what mods you've done to the car and how it performs compares to other alfas or cars on the track. I sometimes think of taking mine on the track it's fast on the highway but pushs like a pig in the corners and has the stopping ability of a freight train so I always change my mind.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have seen this car on some other web site I think. A V10 mid-engine car, am I right? This is a quite a bit more than I would ever plan to do. It is beyound my wildest dreams in fact. I was thinking more along the line of a dual purposs car, a track and street car. Something along the lines of stiffer springs and bars, maybe a chip and exhust. I have seen pictures of someone in the UK club racing a silver 164 that looked pretty stock except being lower, having graphics and a full cage inside. Do you know this car?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know much about this alfa or it's v10 only what I saw on a 164 web site. If you look at the pictures GianniB posted you can see it has five exhust pipes and five sparks plugs per bank. And by the shape of the openings of the exhust pipe flangs it is most likely a two exhust valves per cylinder. This would make it a forty valver or fifty if it used some F1 practices of three intake and two exhust. One thing is sure this is not a production engine and this car is about as much a 164 as a montreal or a TZ is a Giulia. Sure is *****in though.

·
Registered
741 Posts
It was a 73 deg V-10 similar to the F1 engines of the same vintage. 4 overhead cams with 4 valves per cylinder. It was to be the basis of a silhouette touring car series dreamed up by Bernie Eccelstone to try to get more manufacturers making 3.5 litter engines that could be used by F1 and to kill European Touring Car racing, which was beginning to rival F1 at that time.

Here's a link to a page on the procar on Alfisti.net

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info. GianniB I had only seen pictures of this car before. If anyone knows of other Race or time trial 164 I would enjoy to here about what mods have been made.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I don't think it would be a problem with a 164. A fairly stock 164 can pull a 1:45-147 at theWillow Springs on street tires.

I think with a stock 24V engine in an 164L body (it has lighter doors), wide front wheels, no A/C, light bumpers, it could easily do 1:40. A little more tinkering, you will be in the below 1:40 for sure.

There is a guy in England, Martin Parson, who races 164s. But the problem with the 164 would be tracks like Laguna Seca, which is more of a RWD or a light FWD track.

But for power tracks like Buttonwillow (configured with no tight turns), Thunderhill and Willow Springs, a modified 164 24V could easily sweep the Alfa Cup. A 24V can put out 250 bhp with the euro 45mm intake runners, some exhaust work, a chip and 100% stock internals. Oh yeah, be prepared to spend money on trying to stop the car. 4-pot calipers are compulsary.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think you should just race it bone stock. Well, time trial is what I mean. That is what I am doing with my GTV6. I had a blast at Willow Springs and won my class in my first event!

It really helped that there were only two of us in class E, but I was 16 seconds a lap faster than the other car.

For me, the fun is in getting better every lap. When I finally get to the point that my skill exceeds the car's abilities, I will start making improvements to the car.

It really is a blast. Laguna Seca is already sold out, but Buttonwillow is in June. Can you come out to play?:)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Jeff I Would like to play in fact I have been playing for a while just not in the 164. Like you I started in class E, on street tires, about three years ago. I have been driving a spider in class D for a couple of years now. The spider wasn't running and needs body work after willow springs in January. I was at willow last month just not in an alfa. I'm too scared I'd wreck the 164. I'm signed up for Laguna in the spider, I'm woking like crazy to get it ready. I hope to meet you up there. It is good you encourage poeple to come out and drive. I do too.

EVO75
I like those numbers that would make the alfas competive with some bmw and porsche wouldn't it? It would seem that a 164L five speed with a 24v engine or its engine rebuilt with some race cams and big valves would be the way to go at least on the fast tracks. But does anyone make race spring and sway bars for them? The stuff I see listed by Ricambi and IAP seems tame by track standards. And then there is still the brakes, will any thing fit easily?

Martin Parsons city wall car was my desk top for about a year, but I don't know a thing about it, do you?

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
If you put race cams, > 11:1 pistons, big headers (1.75" primaries), Autronic ECU, you're looking at about 310 bhp. Gp with serious intakes, and injectors firing down the runners , 400 bhp. The 24V motor is very powerful and being a 4-valve engine, responds REALLY well to high lift cams. Yes it will be peaky, but we're not talking 2-liter sort of peaky. However peaky a 3.0 is, it still has loads of torque.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
try ebspares.

For specs, go to www.colombo-bariani.com

BUt it costs $$$$...4-cams remember and 24 cam lobes....

Just go with Autronic and a stock 24V, with big headers. beninca said, 217 at the wheels.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Back to the original query that started off this thread: Anyone racing or time trialing a 164? A guy named Tony Soper was running one in the Powermods Alfa Romeo Championship in 2002 in the UK:

2002 Team

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Not that I know of. At least not seriously.

Both Soper's and Parsons' cars are up for sale.

·
Registered
378 Posts
woah, that yellow 164 is pretty sweet

alfacupp, my 164 is completely stock but it does have some track time. Last year I did the University of VARA with it and they stuck me in a group with 25 other cars, consisting of Corvettes, Porsches, Vipers, Panteras, and a Camaro. When I first saw this I was like, "Great, how am I gonna better my driving if I have to constantly deal with these guys lapping me." Well after I figured the car out on the track it was incredible. I was gridded last and passed every car except for a Z06 Vette. I was all over everyone's *** with the 164 in the corners and when the straightaways came the peeps just waved me by because they didn't want to have to deal with me. After every sesion I had at least three of the other drivers come up to me and ask me questions about the 164. They all thought I had some trick suspension and I just said, 'No these cars handle real well if you just know how to drive them." That weekend was definitely one of my most fun driving weekends.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts