Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am trying to find out if there was any rhyme or reason to the style of covers that alfa chose to connect/seal off their fuel pump assemblies to the top of the fuel tank. Mine has a steel cover with 8-12 bolts that held it onto the fuel tank. I have also seen a plastic style as well. I am wondering if i can use this plastic style interchangeably with my 1995 164 q? Thanks. Does it have all of the same ports and electrical hookups?

·
Premium Member
26,992 Posts
Steel USA spec tank and plastic Euro spec tank not interchangeable because steel tank uses bolts.

See euro tank cover below and see the plastic tank uses rotating lock ring to secure tank cover.

See 24v usa steel tank below even this steel tank cover different p/n than 91-93 USA steel tank cover there is also something different about tubing elbows.

Saudi 164's use steel tank, too it seems.

Steel cover for 24v steel tank is 60579109 but NLA it seems.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,845 Posts
Wonder why they went to that steel plate with the leaky bolts for the US. Were they trying to cure a leak problem with the plastic version, or did US DOT regs require the change for some perceived safety requirement?

I suspect I would have rather had the much easier to open plastic version, provided it didn't have some problem we don't know about.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
awesome thanks. Theoretically, if the bolts were not an issue, do you think that you could get correct fuel flow and electrical hookups with the european style?

·
Premium Member
26,992 Posts
awesome thanks. Theoretically, if the bolts were not an issue, do you think that you could get correct fuel flow and electrical hookups with the european style?
I don't know answer to that question as electrical connector and fuel hose elbows maybe different.

What wrong with your old cover?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nothing wrong with it per say, but i am trying to install the old fuel pump into a custom tank in a kit car, that seems like it was meant for the plastic style. I t looks like the 156 may also have the plastic 164 style too, unless there are just slight changes.
Thanks for the diagram, it helps a bunch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts