Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been scratching my eyes out trying to find an oil cooler gasket for my 164L. Alfa used a US made Modine oil cooler and the gasket is a square cut O- ring.

I thought I was in luck when I learned a similar Modine unit was used on a the 1994 Ford F-150 5.8l truck- But Fords gaskets are NLA.

Shot gun search and out of randomness I found another user of the Modine oil cooler. John Deere Skid steer and tractors! A place called Madison tractor had the had the product description and drawing for RE61767 - Cooler, Oil w/ Gasket and noted "MOUNTS W/ R125508 GASKET.

A quick google showed lots of vendors of R125508 of course no pictures and the description "John Deere PACKING R125508" .

So I amble down to the local tractor dealer who pulls out the oil cooler RE61767 and other than input and output pipes, it is a dead ringer for the Alfa unit and is even stamped "Modine" albeit with a newer modine logo. So he ordered me the gasket R125508- oops "packing" and so I am good to go.

This is the rare case of a 164 part being easier to get if you are not in a big city. (Well you could just order it from a Deere dealer online.)

Now to find the John Deere part number for the temp warning light sender :)

Matt

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,576 Posts
I'll have to record that info on John Deere number. I got my square cut oil cooler gasket from Alfa Romeo Inc. under AR number 60808327. I of course got it with many other parts to offset the handling charge of $15 in order to make it worthwhile to go that way.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Or you could have just asked the collective here. ;) I would have sent you one too. I have several. Good to know though that there is another option for this gasket. Several years back I could not get my hands on one of those from any of the Alfa parts venders and had to reuse the old one and put some gasket sealer on it to stop it from leaking. I have never gone back to put a new one in even though I have some of them. It's just too hard to get to now that the engine is not sitting on the floor. :rolleyes:
Charles

·
Registered
1,545 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
One of the stores where I usually buy my parts sells gasket materials in sheets. Maybe that would do the trick?

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,576 Posts
One of the stores where I usually buy my parts sells gasket materials in sheets. Maybe that would do the trick?
No probably not as this square cut circular sealing ring is basically the same seal style as you find in the face of all screw on oil filter cartridges.

·
Registered
573 Posts
No probably not as this square cut circular sealing ring is basically the same seal style as you find in the face of all screw on oil filter cartridges.
I do remember seeing that same material along with the old impregnated cork. Is it unnobtanium there? Will ask if is there any of that stuff the next time I go to that particular store.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The local Deere Dealer sold it to me for $7.00. Looking at the modine oil coolers side by side, they were identical. I could have ordered if online from a Deere parts dealer for $5.00 or directly from Alfa Romeo Inc for $4.11- (Sure I would need to add a hose or two to offset the $15 handling charge.)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have the original if anyone interested. Special price for BB members $14 including shipping if paid by check.

here is the link ALFA ROMEO 164 O-RING FOR OIL COOLING ORIGINAL PART - eBay (item 300426748493 end time Sep-03-11 11:03:00 PDT)
Thanks for reducing your price for those interested. As Steve reminds us, it sure beats paying the $15 AR Inc handling fee. And I have to admit, it takes a leap of faith to fix your Alfa with parts in a Green and Yellow package from the tractor store.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Your post belongs in parts for sale. And your price for a 10 year old dried out and brittle gasket which can be ordered from AlfaRomeoinc.com for a $4.11 is very special indeed.

I am just pointing out that there is another channel for those wanting to avoid being fleeced by someone wanting $21 for a silly gasket. The funny thing is that I actually saw your Ebay ad along with your purposely hidden part numbers which got me looking for another source. I found one and now you want to give us a "Special Price".

NO THANKS.
I think its very unmature what you did here. Trashing this person on the forum.
He/she offering a part for sale regardless of the price and you seem have some anger towards this person. You don't want it just don't buy it nobody is forcing you to buy it.
Thats not right at all what you did. Next time you have issues with people send a private message instead.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,576 Posts
I don't think he is out of line with a $14 price which includes shipping.

Bare/bear in mind that the $4.11 seal from Alfa comes with $15 HANDLING CHARGE AND Shipping charge. Shipping cost cheap but handling charge means you better buy some other needed parts to make it worth the extra $15 they tack on.

Also seal in sealed package and just a pliable as one from Alfa in fact he probably got it from them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I drifted way off mark, apologies to all.

I am sorry for reducing the level of discourse on the board with my post directed toward Giorgio. It was inappropriate to say the least.

MCL

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Time to resurrect this old thread. I wish I'd found it before I bought the equivalent part out of England:

Fiat Ducato Peugeot Boxer Citroen Relay Sofim OE Oil Cooler Ring Seal 98429617

Fits perfect on my 164 oil cooler but it was $30 including shipping (from England). Now I know to just go to the John Deere dealer :D

·
Premium Member
9,867 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts