Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,147 Posts
Yes, it always happens with the 94/95 center console readout units. Poor attachment of the flat sheet ribbon wiring to the readout circuit boards. Usually, most of the readouts die, requiring repairs. 'goats' (Bob) in San Diego, CA, has repaired quite a few of these units with a proper quality ribbon and attachment, and proper professional equipment. These repaired units, while not inexpensive, work very very well. My 94LS has one. I'm very happy with it.

Bob could give you the 'straight skinny' on the subject if you are interested.

There is also a 'do it yourself ' repair ribbon offered from Canada at a much lower cost, but cannot report on it's long term effectivity.

·
Premium Member
27,284 Posts
Center console HVAC panel tape readout and odometer readout probably an apples and oranges story.

·
Premium Member
16,147 Posts
If made by the same company, most likely the very same problem, but yes, as you say, different unit. Don't know if Bob has had a chance to look at them.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi,
I'm talking about just the odometer lcd not the centre consol. Have repaired the burnt out ribbon cable on that already, thanks, and assume different problem as symptoms are different. Centre consol just loses segments as the cables burn out but the odometer is fine unless it has been damp weather. Always same row of segments that go - except once, some years ago, the whole thing faded. Not 100% but significantly. Seems to be a moisture issue somewhere. The question is: where?

·
Premium Member
16,147 Posts
While I mistakenly referred to the wrong unit, I am willing to bet though that it's the same problem if it is made the same, the segments wiring connections coming partially loose and affected by the relative humidity, maybe more likely temperature, ie, conducting or not.

I would guess that you will have to remove the assy with the odo, and carefully inspect all the segment connections and cleaning what you can. Possibly you could try jumping the affected connections to see if you can cause those segments to light up?

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
I'm guessing that you have contaminant on the board behind the LCD display. It's been awhile but I recall that LCD module is soldered in direct to the board -- I can verify this is needed but I'll have to go in the attic, clear my bench etc. will do it if u need me to.

What is likely happening is your hydroscopic contaminant is becoming conductive when it's humid out or it rains. U may even have a lower windscreen leak that's dripping water onto that area.

Del s suggestion is where I would start. Be careful to not bust off the tangs that hold the inst panel together. Take it out, carefully disassemble ( there's about 15 screws but all visible) and see what's going on.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm guessing that you have contaminant on the board behind the LCD display. It's been awhile but I recall that LCD module is soldered in direct to the board -- I can verify this is needed but I'll have to go in the attic, clear my bench etc. will do it if u need me to.

What is likely happening is your hydroscopic contaminant is becoming conductive when it's humid out or it rains. U may even have a lower windscreen leak that's dripping water onto that area.

Del s suggestion is where I would start. Be careful to not bust off the tangs that hold the inst panel together. Take it out, carefully disassemble ( there's about 15 screws but all visible) and see what's going on.
That makes sense, thanks.

Suspect some kind of water ingress somewhere. Going to be tricky to track it down though as nothing obvious. Know it's not from the roof as got the roof lining out at the moment and all 4 drain pipes clear. Could be the screen but it's quite new.
Not the heater matrix as changed that recently too and have Radweld Plus in the cooling system at the moment to stop an annoying pipe leak on the thermostat housing - impossible to tighten without removing it and last time I did that the bolts sheered.

Was wondering if could be getting damp via engine bay, from behind false firewall or maybe from door seals? Guess the list goes on...

If its only a question of 15 screws to get the console apart its going to be worth opening it up to have a look and maybe trying to seal the LCD.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Check your cowl drains on the engine side under the flimsy black cover -- these do often clog with leaves and debris and when water comes off the windscreen it collects there

1 - 10 of 10 Posts