Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Have posted before about disappearing segments on a 1995 164 3.0 24v. Have today pulled out the console with a view to swapping the ribbon cable/LED itself from a 1995 16v twinspark 164. Both UK spec. Surprise, surprise for an Alfa - there are significant differences, despite the view from the front of the displays being pretty much identical (just slight colour differences on the needles and different red lines for the different engines).

The LED ribbon cable differences are so huge there is obviously no chance of swapping any part of these over. Nor can I see any obvious evidence of where the connection issue might be on the 24v unit. I've got to the point where I'm considering just dropping the 16v unit into the 24v car as is. All the physical connections on the side of the unit look the same but are they truly compatible?

Thinking the redline differences shouldn't be a problem as the rev limiter is controlled by the ECU but what about the speedo? Are the final speedometer feeds on both cars the same? Measured per turn of the wheel?

If you look at the pic of the fronts, you can see the auxilliary dials on the 24v settle towards the middle while on the 16v they settle towards zero. Significant or just a positional issue while they are out of the car?

Why did Alfa have to make things so hard....?

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
As to my understanding, all 164 Twin Spark were 8v. Earlier Twin Spark was 1962 cc engine capacity, the later was 1995 cc, all with aluminium engine block and timing chain.

16v Twin Spark had cast iron engine block and timing belt.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As to my understanding, all 164 Twin Spark were 8v. Earlier Twin Spark was 1962 cc engine capacity, the later was 1995 cc, all with aluminium engine block and timing chain.

16v Twin Spark had cast iron engine block and timing belt.
Hi,

It was a series 2 164, which I'm pretty sure had the 16v engine. Either way, not the issue here though...

Cheers.

·
Registered
470 Posts
All produced 164 Twin Sparks were 8 valve and with timing chain.

I don't know about the differences in the dashboards, but the needles being in the middle I find strange.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All produced 164 Twin Sparks were 8 valve and with timing chain.

I don't know about the differences in the dashboards, but the needles being in the middle I find strange.
Thanks, guys.

It was 1995cc and did have a chain so 8v then. Dashboard wise, the 24v needles in the middle may be some kind of balance thing while it's on its edge like that. When lying horizontally are on the zero points, like the twinspark - though still strange to have such a difference between the two. I love Alfas......

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Question answered. Temporarily dropped the twinspark dash unit into the 24v car. Result?

All dials work perfectly. Speedo GPS verified as accurate. Rev counter is not. Had thought it would sense engine revolutions via the crank sensor but not the case. Is over reading by 50%, the same number of extra cylinders in the V6 compared to the twinspark,
Taking the 24v engine to 7,000rpm limit would leave the rev counter trying to display 10,500 rpm.

Could swap in the 24v dials but expect the calibration is coming via the PCB not the dials. Looking forward to fixing the 24v unit and dropping it back in...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.