Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I no longer have any Alfa's but I still have a 12 v 164 engine/transaxle complete with injection and ECU that is sitting in the back of an X1/9 that I would like to sell. (The engine/transaxle that is)
The motor has about 85 thousand miles on it and was very strong, but has been sitting for some time now.

I am in Kirkland WA. Anyone interested? Would have to pick up.

Robert

·
Premium Member
15,884 Posts
Which model 164 was the engine from, B/L or S?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Del,

I believe it was an S as (iirc) the body had the skirts. Is there a way to confirm for you from just the motor alone?

RObert

·
Premium Member
15,884 Posts
What is the engine number? If an S, might be interested in the engine alone, sans tranny.

·
Premium Member
15,884 Posts
?

·
Registered
449 Posts
164 B/L Engine

I did a private message with RSX19 and the answer to the riddle is

AR06412*019829

which makes it a B/L engine and tranny......

·
Premium Member
15,884 Posts
Thanks, alas. Was thinking about picking up a lower mileage spare engine for my 91S.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
personally, I'd love to see the project finished. An X1/9 with an Alfa V6 has to be something!! ciao, jc

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry to all interested for the delay. I had my hard drive in my Mac Book die (Again) and was only back running a day ago. Brian PM-ed me and I sent him the number, which is as above.

Thanks for the wishes on the project jc. Despite the power, the Alfa engine/trans is very heavy compared to the little x motor, and the car despite my efforts no longer seemed much of an X. With all the options available, were I to have the time, I would do a small turbo 4.

Robert

·
Premium Member
15,884 Posts
I remember from years ago a guy put a Chevy V-8 engine in a bug eye Sprite, and then tried to autocross it in our local competitions. As you can imagine, it was a total disaster. Unfortunately, people laughed so much that he got really pissed, left, and was never seen again, in any car. Actually felt a little sorry for him.

Sometimes, these sorts of conversions just don't work out, the engine and chassis being incompatible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I remember from years ago a guy put a Chevy V-8 engine in a bug eye Sprite, and then tried to autocross it in our local competitions. As you can imagine, it was a total disaster. Unfortunately, people laughed so much that he got really pissed, left, and was never seen again, in any car. Actually felt a little sorry for him.

Sometimes, these sorts of conversions just don't work out, the engine and chassis being incompatible.
Yes. I finally realized I was just chasing my favorite car (Lancia Stratos) which of course, had the light 2.4 liter Ferrari V6.
15 years ago, when I did this, the 4 cyl. turbos had massive lag, not good for a autocross or canyon car. Now there are so many good choices, I wish I had a pristine chassis and the time to work on one.

R

·
Premium Member
15,884 Posts
Hah, I understand there are shipping companies?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts