Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Alfa Bulletin Board Community,
I currently daily drive a 1994 Alfa Romeo 164LS automatic with 109,800+ miles on it. I would like to know if anyone has modified the 94 164LS and if so, what would they recommend? I have plans to put the Q4 16 inch speed-lines on it. I already have a STEBRO exhaust from canada on it. I would like to know if any 164 Q4's were brought to the USA. Since I live in the NY area and we got pounded with 84 inches of snow last year. It would be great, if someone could "upgrade" my LS suspension setup into the Q4 setup. Also, what is the HP number that the 164 V6 could not go over? The highest i've seen is 350 HP. Any ideas on what modifications would give me "safe" HP gains without breaking the engine to pieces? Is 300 HP a "safe" number? My car stock was 210 HP. One modification Idea that no one seems to have done yet is the dual exit exhaust system. The 164 LS comes with a plastic cover for the option of a dual exit exhaust. Also I can't find headers for the 164 LS yet (they would have to use cats because I don't want to fail emissions in NY).
Thanks,
Italiancarnut12
Scarsdale, NY

Attachments

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
1. You'll get a few HP with Q runners
2. No Q4s imported to the US, but there are a few here, maybe 4.
3. IMHO a realistic safe reliable HO would be more like 250. On the 12V cars, transmissions are a weak point in power gain.
4. The plastic cover on the right side is for the toe hook, not intended for dual exhaust.
Not sure about the 24V cars.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. You'll get a few HP with Q runners
2. No Q4s imported to the US, but there are a few here, maybe 4.
3. IMHO a realistic safe reliable HO would be more like 250. On the 12V cars, transmissions are a weak point in power gain.
4. The plastic cover on the right side is for the toe hook, not intended for dual exhaust.
Not sure about the 24V cars.
I'm a little confused about your reply:
1. You claim "none were imported but there are a few here"
3. I have a 24V car not 12V
4. There are no tow hooks on the 24V 164

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
He means there were none imported by Alfa. The 164Q4's here where imported by individuals using a variety of means. Some where brought by diplomats and sold to U.S. buyers, some came by others means and they went through the D.O.T. to get certified.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
The cover is not for a dual exhaust, it's for right hand or left hand drive cars. Depending on where the car was meant to reside the exhaust was flipped to either side. Just like the grab handles over the passenger seat. You can see where one would have been placed on a right hand drive car over the drivers left shoulder on a left hand drive car.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Anything can be done. One of the breathing restrictions on the 12V engine is the air box. I suspect the 24V engine is the same. Before just buying header, or putting on dual exhaust, etc. It pays to do some research to find out where the restrictions are. A good read is Alfa Romeo V6 Engine High Performance Manual

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've never seen any 164 with an exhaust that didn't exit under the battery side. Besides if you take that plastic tow hook cover off you'll see the opening is a different size to the exhaust slot so even if you do add extra exhaust outlets (did anyone say rice?), the rear end won't be symmetrical.

The tow hook isn't right behind that cover either, you need to almost get down & look under the car to see it as it's tucked away.

I reckon your best bet for additional easy-to-achieve 'fun' with the car would be to get the QV intake runners (as mentioned earlier).

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Just my opinion on the exhaust, but if the 24v is similar to a 12v, you'll have to exit through a single cat anyway. A cat on the other side wouldn't fit right below the floor pan, and neither would additional pipe and muffler. Dual outlets would be for show only. If they fit and looked symmetrically.

If you needed that much exhaust flow, a single 3" school bus exhaust would do it! Probably with a turbo!!!

·
Premium Member
15,845 Posts
Without screwing the car up, just go for the Q runners. Gain 20 hp.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
driving lites

Wont add much speed but you'll see the tree you're gonna tangle with a bit sooner. :whistling: ciao, chris

Attachments

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I've never seen any 164 with an exhaust that didn't exit under the battery side. Besides if you take that plastic tow hook cover off you'll see the opening is a different size to the exhaust slot so even if you do add extra exhaust outlets (did anyone say rice?), the rear end won't be symmetrical.

The tow hook isn't right behind that cover either, you need to almost get down & look under the car to see it as it's tucked away.
You are correct about the tow hook cover. I had not looked in ages and confused it with one of my other vehicles.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Since I live in the NY area and we got pounded with 84 inches of snow last year. It would be great, if someone could "upgrade" my LS suspension setup into the Q4 setup.
84 inches :eek:
I think that there is no "upgrade suspension" not help Q4 it cope with snowdrifts.
Only ice, light snow and wet roads.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Or you can do it my way: every Alfa Romeo deserves a good 4x4 pickup truck to take its place in the winter. I don't enjoy driving Alfas in the ice and snow of upstate NY, and storing the Alfas protects them from the dreaded road salt. My truck is a 2000 Tundra Limited. Four cams, four valves per cylinder. Hey, someone put a Lexus motor in my truck!

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts
Dear Alfa Bulletin Board Community,
I currently daily drive a 1994 Alfa Romeo 164LS automatic with 109,800+ miles on it. I would like to know if anyone has modified the 94 164LS and if so, what would they recommend? I have plans to put the Q4 16 inch speed-lines on it. I already have a STEBRO exhaust from canada on it. I would like to know if any 164 Q4's were brought to the USA. Since I live in the NY area and we got pounded with 84 inches of snow last year. It would be great, if someone could "upgrade" my LS suspension setup into the Q4 setup. Also, what is the HP number that the 164 V6 could not go over? The highest i've seen is 350 HP. Any ideas on what modifications would give me "safe" HP gains without breaking the engine to pieces? Is 300 HP a "safe" number? My car stock was 210 HP. One modification Idea that no one seems to have done yet is the dual exit exhaust system. The 164 LS comes with a plastic cover for the option of a dual exit exhaust. Also I can't find headers for the 164 LS yet (they would have to use cats because I don't want to fail emissions in NY).
Thanks,
Italiancarnut12
Scarsdale, NY
I can get you 240Hp (30Hp) without too much work (Q runners and Chip).

http://www.alfissimo.com/index.php?productID=714

Suspension not an issue, I carry Koni and B&G lowering springs if you want to go that route. Headers are not needed, the ones you have are the best for the car. The cat is a high flow cat as it is. Splitting the rear into a dual might free up some power but could also cause issues.

Q2 diff is a nice thing if you have a manual. If it is a auto you will lag a bit in the power department.

I have other ideas you can contact me anytime.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts