Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a split main air intake hose for a 24v 164 3.0 was replaced a year ago with an aftermarket item, I thought it would be problem solved for years to come. I was wrong, as the aging signs on the pictures of it show.

This has inspired me to start looking at making up my own hose from separate parts, which will no doubt cost less than the $100+ this aftermarket one did. Very dissappointing - guess it is live and learn... The only thing I don't understand is: why go through all the trouble of making the moulds for this item and then use substandard material in them?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,166 Posts
Ever spray a rubber/vinyl protectorant fluid on the hoses? I basically soak the OEM ones on my cars regularly, and I still have the original ones on all three cars. Granted, the one in the 91S is fairly stiff, but still intact and working without leaks or even cracking (yet). The hotter engine bay of the 164 doesn't help of course.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mine is cracked. They are not overly flexible to begin with, and they don't tolerate the extra movement from bad mounts. Now that I have poly mounts, I am looking at silicone hose elbows to replace the rubber OE part. I've seen similar shapes and diameters, just need the two ports for idle air and CCV.

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
After a split main air intake hose for a 24v 164 3.0 was replaced a year ago with an aftermarket item, I thought it would be problem solved for years to come. I was wrong, as the aging signs on the pictures of it show.

This has inspired me to start looking at making up my own hose from separate parts, which will no doubt cost less than the $100+ this aftermarket one did. Very dissappointing - guess it is live and learn... The only thing I don't understand is: why go through all the trouble of making the moulds for this item and then use substandard material in them?
Yup, those aftermarket ones are junk. I am working on making a higher quality one here soon. Same with fuel pump rubber bushing and some other bits. I also suspect the aftermarket fuel pump bushing is not going to last either. I had lots of issues with those aftermarket 24v boots, 12V boots, idle seals and so on, sending 6 of them back for a refund. I was pretty angry about it. Very very low quality. Rubber is substandard! Very thin and flimsy, had a few with holes in them brand new (hence sending them back). Almost as if the mold had pits in it or dirt in it when molded.

They obviously cannot handle the heat either because they are either using wrong rubber, cheap rubber or it's so thin it just bakes to death. Where you have the split is where the pin holes I found were. I sold a few of these and regret it. If you have the original, I'd try to repair it. I have pulled them and returned them and will never sell any of their products again, even if desperate! When I get them made, if you did buy one from me, I will replace it for free. I may have sold around 10 before dropping them. Huge mistake on my part as previous aftermarket products were not good either.

I will be making them right and will have them soon after I relocate. Already have the rubber mold company set up here in the US, tooling and proper high quality EPDM rubber (thought about silicone), with proper thickness so it does not break, crack or tear after 5 minutes. I sent them one of the aftermarket hoses to mold from and they thought it was extremely low quality maybe made in China. I use to sell them until I found they were an issue, I rather not be responsible, they can take the flak for there own product. They really are not even molded very well either. Very sloppy not up to my standards.

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
Ever spray a rubber/vinyl protectorant fluid on the hoses? I basically soak the OEM ones on my cars regularly, and I still have the original ones on all three cars. Granted, the one in the 91S is fairly stiff, but still intact and working without leaks or even cracking (yet). The hotter engine bay of the 164 doesn't help of course.
"rubber/vinyl protectorant fluid"
What do you use Del? Brand?

I have original on mine and a spare but don't want to use the spare anytime soon.

·
Premium Member
16,166 Posts
ArmorAll. Yup, I also have spares for both the S and LS, OEM, but keep them in sealed plastic bags.

Reactions: Alfissimo Int.

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
ArmorAll. Yup, I also have spares for both the S and LS, OEM, but keep them in sealed plastic bags.
Same here. I was looking at 303 aerospace brand. or 1Z Gummi Pflege. No experience with either but may try them. But silicone spray and a rag might be just as effective.

or rubber renue
https://express.google.com/product/3362530164880416514_2923751167906568854_6136318?mall=Northwest&directCheckout=1&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=product_ads&utm_campaign=gsx&utm_content=control_0_30

"This Rubber Renue mixed with 1 gal of Xylene, 24 hr soak...softened hard as rock, 43 year old, motorcycle carburetor intake boots.. Excellent product."

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
I bought a bottle of the 303 stuff. Without doing a chemical analysis my take is that it’s pretty much just Armorall with a different label.

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
I bought a bottle of the 303 stuff. Without doing a chemical analysis my take is that it’s pretty much just Armorall with a different label.
But...but it says aerospace on it! hahahahaha!

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
I have one OEM left intake hose and one OEM fuel pump rubber surround as well. Maybe they will outlast me! I wish I had one of those little rubber pads that go on the bottom of the fuel pump but I think I can make one relatively easily.
Its the ethanol I think that is killing the fuel rubbers, cant make the same claim for the intake hose tho!

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
I have one OEM left intake hose and one OEM fuel pump rubber surround as well. Maybe they will outlast me! I wish I had one of those little rubber pads that go on the bottom of the fuel pump but I think I can make one relatively easily.
Its the ethanol I think that is killing the fuel rubbers, cant make the same claim for the intake hose tho!
I have them coming in. I will hold one for you! ;)
Intake hoses are just bad quality reproductions. OEM will out last those even if they are hard. lol

Reactions: Del and goats

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup, those aftermarket ones are junk. I am working on making a higher quality one here soon. Same with fuel pump rubber bushing and some other bits. I also suspect the aftermarket fuel pump bushing is not going to last either. I had lots of issues with those aftermarket 24v boots, 12V boots, idle seals and so on, sending 6 of them back for a refund. I was pretty angry about it. Very very low quality. Rubber is substandard! Very thin and flimsy, had a few with holes in them brand new (hence sending them back). Almost as if the mold had pits in it or dirt in it when molded.

They obviously cannot handle the heat either because they are either using wrong rubber, cheap rubber or it's so thin it just bakes to death. Where you have the split is where the pin holes I found were. I sold a few of these and regret it. If you have the original, I'd try to repair it. I have pulled them and returned them and will never sell any of their products again, even if desperate! When I get them made, if you did buy one from me, I will replace it for free. I may have sold around 10 before dropping them. Huge mistake on my part as previous aftermarket products were not good either.

I will be making them right and will have them soon after I relocate. Already have the rubber mold company set up here in the US, tooling and proper high quality EPDM rubber (thought about silicone), with proper thickness so it does not break, crack or tear after 5 minutes. I sent them one of the aftermarket hoses to mold from and they thought it was extremely low quality maybe made in China. I use to sell them until I found they were an issue, I rather not be responsible, they can take the flak for there own product. They really are not even molded very well either. Very sloppy not up to my standards.
With you 100% on this Jason.

·
Registered
656 Posts
My intake hose, which I bought from Diffata, is already 10 years old. And this is not an OEM. Of course there are already many cracks, but it is still airtight. Need to think about buying a new one.

·
Premium Member
9,812 Posts
My intake hose, which I bought from Diffata, is already 10 years old. And this is not an OEM. Of course there are already many cracks, but it is still airtight. Need to think about buying a new one.

Anyway. Mine will be in production soon.

Proof is in the pudding. I won't deal with their products again but that's just me. If it's out of an OEM bag, maybe!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts