Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seems to be wrong shape for mating surface. My '91L has an old boot labeled Loebro 2 153 15 75 00 043. (oe is o-umlaut in mfr name) Looks similar to Bosch numbering. Surface next to bearing has a significant half-round groove cut and Loebro part has matching thickening molded into boot to prevent its slipping off from flange. New Akron part 1H130(? it's not in front of me just now) has flat surface and I'm not certain that a cable tie will hold it well. If the boot slips, the cable tie will be on an inclined surface and may silp. Please provide your experiences and advice. I know many bb'rs have replaced half-shaft boots.

Thanks.

Michael

·
Premium Member
9,748 Posts
seems to be wrong shape for mating surface. My '91L has an old boot labeled Loebro 2 153 15 75 00 043. (oe is o-umlaut in mfr name) Looks similar to Bosch numbering. Surface next to bearing has a significant half-round groove cut and Loebro part has matching thickening molded into boot to prevent its slipping off from flange. New Akron part 1H130(? it's not in front of me just now) has flat surface and I'm not certain that a cable tie will hold it well. If the boot slips, the cable tie will be on an inclined surface and may silp. Please provide your experiences and advice. I know many bb'rs have replaced half-shaft boots.

Thanks.

Michael
I know it seems strange but they work fine. Just make sure that the tie is on good and no grease on the flange. Mine are like this and have not slipped off.
Jason

·
Registered
95 Posts
I second that. The boot I pulled off had the indent, the new one is just flat.

You must make your cable ties very tight though as Alfa Steve suggested.

Once I had the cable tie on (and was skeptical about it staying there ) I did some pulling and shoving on the part and the boot stayed in place at some severe angles that you won't see in service.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I cleaned it off with brake cleaner and installed the boot. I secured it in place with a boot clamp I purchased at the auto parts store, a multi-turn strap which is pulled tight, bent back, and secured in place with metal tabs. It appears likely to hold. I'll find out.

I ordered a couple of other items from another supplier just to see what they were (and I know I'll need them in the not far distant future).

There are Porsche and other parts suppliers who sell pieces for these "Lobro-style" 6-ball CV joints. I've been curious about whether Lobro still supply the part number I referenced above. I have been able to find only one reference, from a Maserati group, but it isn't very helpful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts