Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,851 Posts
Looks to be very nice. Don't know about the price, however, maybe a little high. The low mileage though basically means that for the drive train, it's still basically unworn. Many good miles left in that one.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The AC was worked on but apparently there's a leak somewhere that he and mechanic couldn't locate.

Over $4k was spent on the engine work I'm told.

·
Premium Member
15,851 Posts
The engine, at that mileage, shouldn't have needed any work whatsoever if properly serviced. I wonder what they thought the problem was, a jumped belt and bent valves? Otherwise, that engine is almost indestructible, not needing any rebuild like that at that mileage.

Now I'm suspicious about the service the car recieved. Of course, if the rework was done well...

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good to hear. You saw it in person though? I really hope the paint, clear coat, and interior are as nice as advertised. It should be mine by tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
15,851 Posts
Anyone know why it received an engine top end rebuild at such a low mileage?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUICK QUESTION: Insurance

The Portland car is mine pretty much. Bill of sale in hand and will drive down tomorrow to just double check everything. Talked to the owner again ... I have the story on everything from A to Z.

I haven't called USAA yet to check on insurance but I have to believe it'll be pretty cheap being an older car.

You guys ever had any issues with insurance?

·
Premium Member
26,994 Posts
The Portland car is mine pretty much. Bill of sale in hand and will drive down tomorrow to just double check everything. Talked to the owner again ... I have the story on everything from A to Z.

I haven't called USAA yet to check on insurance but I have to believe it'll be pretty cheap being an older car.

You guys ever had any issues with insurance?
I have used USAA since 1972 for my family cars/trucks/Alfas, still have them but put my 164s with Hagerty to get a fixed price. USAA did me right with my 164B model QS1 when daughter totaled it and on my 164B Originale when she bashed it but she can't touch my Black Beauties now.

With USAA you have 30 days to get your new 164 on your existing policy but online I usually go ahead and enter VIN number and get new one on policy ASAP anyway usually before I drive it home.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Steve. Good advice. This car has a rebuilt title because - like the Craigslist ad says - there was a fire in the trunk back in about 1996 (I was told it was wiper relay?). Hoping the bank and insurance don't have an issue. People buy cars with rebuilt titles all the time. Obviously, if the car doesn't meet my expectations then I won't hand over the money. But I'm CONFIDENT we'll be good to go.

·
Premium Member
26,994 Posts
Thanks Steve. Good advice. This car has a rebuilt title because - like the Craigslist ad says - there was a fire in the trunk back in about 1996 (I was told it was wiper relay?). Hoping the bank and insurance don't have an issue. People buy cars with rebuilt titles all the time. Obviously, if the car doesn't meet my expectations then I won't hand over the money. But I'm CONFIDENT we'll be good to go.
Never seen a wiper relay in the trunk so that is bogus reason. Rear window defroster relay wiring maybe.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I did some research on this a while back and you're right: no wiper relay back there. Like I said, if the car doesn't check out then ... this 164 won't be for me.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The defrost fuse is likely what was meant. I had reason to be in that area on my black 164 a couple months ago while trying to gain better radio reception. Found this. The fuse still has continuity, too!

For the time being, no defrost fuse back there....

Good luck with your potential purchase! The rebuilt title should give you some negotiation. You don't buy the title, though, you buy the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DERAILED. Credit union balked at rebuilt title. Perfect storm... Car is from Oregon and I'm in Washington. Blue book is 2675. They would only finance 80% of blue book or none at all, actually, since it's a rebuilt title. I'm pissed, disappointed.

But I'm not going to pay cash ...

I negotiated the price to $3900 too. It is a great car with - seriously - no problems of note.

Ideas? I am BUMMED

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
GTA???? If it's meant to be, it will work out. Otherwise, what's meant to be will be. ciao, chris

·
Premium Member
15,851 Posts
"But I'm not going to pay cash"

Why not, unless you don't have it laying around? That's how we bought all of our Alfas. That way there are no middle men screwing things up, lol.

Wonder why the credit union doesn't like rebuilt title. It's certainly no big deal.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts