Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"Wiring Euro Face LIft Headlights to USA 164"

Well, I finally installed my Face Lift Bosch Series Two headlights today on my 91 164 USA model. Took awhile but what the heck.
Anyway found wires in Bosch head lights to be as follows:
Note: Wire color codes same for Series One Elma lights see pictures below.

A. Green high beam + hook to your existing green-black headlight wire from chassis for right headlight and green for left headlight.
B. Black high beam ground hook to existing black headlight wires from chassis for both sides.
C. Gray low beam + hook to existing gray-black for right and gray for left.
D Yellow parking light + hook to existing yellow-black for right and yellow for left
E. Black low beam/parking light ground hook to existing black turn signal black ground wire from chassis. Also hook one wire from each turn signal to black ground wire from turn signal chassis black wire using a wire socket similar to a fog light cable.

Turn signal socket uses two wires so hook other wire to light blue for right side and light blue-black for left side.

I used some matching 5-pin and 2 pin connectors from my salvage car but you can use some male and female connectors for 5 pin connector but you need a special connector like a fog light cable for turn signal.

Here is a link for more info by another Alfisti: http://mail.verus-tech.com/alfa/

Now on my silver 164 I installed Elma Series One H4 bulb lights

Some pictures of my wiring for Euro headlight conversions. This is for a set of Elma Series One H4 bulb lights but color coding same for Face Lift H3 Bosch Lights. Note wire colors I used are same but I had some spare matching harnesses so why not match them.

First picture is showing headlight and how I joined harness to light connector on Elma Series One H4 headlight on the Bosch Face Lift H3 lights you will have to get correct connector or cut connector off and match wires to car harness.

Second picture shows old 9004 bulb/connector and old parking/ turn signal light connect that you have to cut off. Yellow wire goes to parking light now located inside headlight instead of with turn signal.

Next pictures show left and right side wiring hook ups.

Last picture shows fog light connector that you need for turn signal on Bosch lights which is different than Elma Series One lights.

Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Steve, is the headlight in the picture the Euro headlight or stock one? If it's the Euro one, it looks a lot different than my euro ones...

·
Premium Member
27,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The headlight in picture is Euro Series One Elma H4 headlight not facelift Bosch unit.

I stated this in text above, "Some pictures of my wiring for Euro headlight conversions. This is for a set of Elma Series One H4 bulb lights but color coding same for Face Lift H3 Bosch Lights. Note wire colors I used are same but I had some spare matching harnesses so why not match them."

Wiring colors are the same for both lights. I already had Bosch lights installed in my other car and forgot to take pictures. Sorry for confusion.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Euro lights in! First thought at night when I flipped them on: "****! Those are good!"

There's no way in hell I could have done it without your write-up, Steve! If a how-to area is ever put in, this should definitely go on it.
I'm definitely more the visual person, so I went more on the pictures and then the diagrams and what wire goes to what made sense.

I'll post pics when i download them... The next thing would be how to get the indicators to actually connect on here. Is it more than just pulling the wheel and covers off, running the wires, and tapping into the turn indicator wires?

Thanks again!

PS- I stole the bosch connector from the side marker and just put the normal crimp-connector on (saved, oh about 2 hours ;) )

·
Premium Member
27,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Side turn indicators, if you have peanut bulb and holder to plug into indicator are pretty easy to hook up. You can run one wire to a chassis ground such as one of studs with 8mm nut that holds relay bracket to chassis right behind headlights or splice into black wire to turn signal. Other wire has to be spliced into light blue and light blue-black wires for turn signal as shown in my pictures. If you have blue and black wires to use match them if not use what you have.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Steve, do you have the pictures that were on here? Also, do you have the link saved on here or know who it belongs to?

·
Premium Member
27,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
27,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for finding it again. As far as process and color codes of wires for either series one Elmas or facelight Bosch projectors goes the process is the same and wires do same function.

My pictures were of Elmas as I had already put in Bosch lights in my other car. Will try to find pictures in my archives.

·
Premium Member
27,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lost data

Looks like pictures lost as well as other link on euro light wiring. Don't you just hate it when that happens?

·
Registered
596 Posts
crap... wonder if it's cached anywhere else, that was a nice write up... Should have copy pasted to to a thread here... shoulda coulda woulda...

·
Premium Member
27,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Paper or cyperspace both have issues

crap... wonder if it's cached anywhere else, that was a nice write up... Should have copy pasted to to a thread here... shoulda coulda woulda...
I have a hard copy printed off somewhere in what folder filed under what I don't have a clue. I know it is inside a 10x11 foot room I call my office.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts