Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have just replaced the gearbox in my 91 164L.
the new (used ) gearbox had gear oil in it.
i had always used ATF in the old box.
is there any reason not to use ATF in the new gearbox?

thanks in advance

bill
91 164L
88 3.0 milano
73 spider
73 gtv jr

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
I would switch it to ATF. I've driven trannys with both and really think they shift better with the ATF, besides that's what Alfa specs.
Charles

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
My 164B made in 1990 came from factory with gear oil but after 130,000 miles using it I changed over to ATF after I replaced input shaft ball bearing with upgraded roller bearing. Tranny now has had ATF in it for a long time and still going strong.

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts
Yes. Agreed, ATF or gear oil 75W-90. Go with any good synthetic, Valvoline, Castrol..

·
Registered
852 Posts
My 164B made in 1990 came from factory with gear oil but after 130,000 miles using it I changed over to ATF after I replaced input shaft ball bearing with upgraded roller bearing. Tranny now has had ATF in it for a long time and still going strong.
Aren't 5-spds have only differential oil?? This means, do we need to fill this with ATF??

-Pavan

·
Registered
460 Posts
Both manual and automatic transmission 164's are supposed to have ATF in them. I have seen several 164 manual cars come in the shop that had gear oil not ATF. The ATF cars seem to shift smoother. If Alfa specified ATF, they know best what to use.

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Aren't 5-spds have only differential oil?? This means, do we need to fill this with ATF??

-Pavan
It is a tranny and differential unit hooked together that shares same ATF fluid fill for both sides of unit. Not two seperate fills. One oil fill is for both. One dip stick measures level of both units.

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
The 164B I bought came with gear oil. I did the clutch, input bearing and shaft seals so decided to switch it to ATF. I found it leaked and again replaced a drive shaft seal. It still leaked, so I switched back to gear oil. The leak stopped. Just my experience.
I ran my black 164S on ATF for 164,000 miles without a problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts