Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Hopefully my final post on this topic.

Am about to remove the fuel tank on a 164 twinspark - rear subframe removed and swaybar lowered for clearance.

Just not sure what pipes actually connect to the tank itself or how to undo them without causing damage. Not even sure if they all connect to the tank itself. Photo below, with reference numbers for the points of concern. Intending to keep the pump and sender in the tank until after removal.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,759 Posts
1 and 2 are the connections to and from the engine. 3 is/are the wires for the pump. 4 no idea. 5 is the sender unit. That big black one at the 2 o'clock position is a vent. Your setup is a bit different than my euro setup. I can advise, the lines where they look heat shrunk on the fittings will not pull off. Me? I'd lower the tank and cut them all then as mentioned on a prior thread, join the feed and return somehow. The vents you can put a plug in and clamp it/them tight. Not much help but maybe some.... ciao, chris

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 and 2 are the connections to and from the engine. 3 is/are the wires for the pump. 4 no idea. 5 is the sender unit. That big black one at the 2 o'clock position is a vent. Your setup is a bit different than my euro setup. I can advise, the lines where they look heat shrunk on the fittings will not pull off. Me? I'd lower the tank and cut them all then as mentioned on a prior thread, join the feed and return somehow. The vents you can put a plug in and clamp it/them tight. Not much help but maybe some.... ciao, chris
Thanks Chris,

Good to know they will drop down with the tank too. 3 is supposed to point to the connector on the blue pipe. Sorry wasn't clear in the pic.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
4,759 Posts
I'm gonna guess your car is a later version. Mines a series one 1989. That blue line looks to be some sort of venting part. The 2 vent lines I doubt will drop down far. The black thing joining the blue lines that makes the "L", looks like a check valve of some sort. If you can't access them or drop the whole filler neck down with the tank, you might be best to cut/remove them first. The nylon lines going to the engine might or might not be clipped to the underbody somehow. You wont know until you drop the tank. FWIW, mine had alot of room to wiggle when I was manipulating them out of the way to change my fuel pump. If I had to guess, I'd say they aren't clipped near the tank but farther forward. The 2 electrical connectors should come off easily. Worse case, cut the wires as far away from the connections as you can to save some of the wire. Never know..... ciao, chris

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm gonna guess your car is a later version. Mines a series one 1989. That blue line looks to be some sort of venting part. The 2 vent lines I doubt will drop down far. The black thing joining the blue lines that makes the "L", looks like a check valve of some sort. If you can't access them or drop the whole filler neck down with the tank, you might be best to cut/remove them first. The nylon lines going to the engine might or might not be clipped to the underbody somehow. You wont know until you drop the tank. FWIW, mine had alot of room to wiggle when I was manipulating them out of the way to change my fuel pump. If I had to guess, I'd say they aren't clipped near the tank but farther forward. The 2 electrical connectors should come off easily. Worse case, cut the wires as far away from the connections as you can to save some of the wire. Never know..... ciao, chris
Ciao, Chris.

Thanks for the advice. Will see how it goes tomorrow.
Cheers, Richard

·
Premium Member
26,903 Posts
According to 94 shop manual it takes a pair of special unlocking pliers to unlock fittings for 1 and 2 pressure and return lines. Since you are dropping the tank I would leave them hooked up and take the lines along with fuel filter and lines loose from the body clips after tank lowered.

You will have to disconnect filler tube (not shown) from tank fill pipe in right wheel wheel.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to 94 shop manual it takes a pair of special unlocking pliers to unlock fittings for 1 and 2 pressure and return lines. Since you are dropping the tank I would leave them hooked up and take the lines along with fuel filter and lines loose from the body clips after tank lowered.

You will have to disconnect filler tube (not shown) from tank fill pipe in right wheel wheel.
Thanks, Steve and everyone in all replies on this topic.

Pleased to say the tank is now out safely. The fuel filter and its mount were so corroded resorted to cutting all the fuel lines above the tank and plugged them with m6 and m8 bolts coated in gasket sealant. The tank itself had only just over a gallon of fuel in it so none came out the filler hole when dropping it - supported on a trolley jack with a polystyrene covered plate of wood to spread the load.
With the top hoses plugged lost no fuel - a big relief fire hazard wise. Emptied it into a fuel can once out, as advised in another post.

The three tank holding bolts came undone fine - left the one on the filler side until last as wanted to keep that part highest to avoid spillage.

Overall, a great big THANK YOU to everyone for the advice on this. Really appreciated and a brilliant Alfa forum!

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts