Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Want to save the glass on a 164 to be scrapped, any ideas how to remove the front and rear screen trim without damage?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
1. Remove the door molding rubber
2. Remove the bolt for the seat belts and remove the center door post trim.
3. Remove the 3 grab handles above the doors.
4. Pop off the 2 plastic cover pieces above the drivers door and remove the 3 screws securing the trim.
5. Remove the rear view mirror
6. Remove the 4 screws holding the rear view mirror attachment bracket.
7. Remove the small trim pieces on the rear light units and remove the screws.

This will get the the side and front window trim off. There are more hidden screws to remove for the rear window trim, but I haven't done that on quite a while.

·
1991 164L
27,800 Posts
Outside window trim very hard to remove/save without damaging.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Ohhh, I though he was referring to the inner trim:) Yes, outer trim, usually gets damaged. Sometimes it's reusable, sometimes not.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone.

I should have specified outer rather than inner.

It would help to know what holds the outer trim on. Is it just bonded or are there clips/teeth I should be aware of? Does heat help? If I know what holds it on I will know where to best apply force to get it off. Planning to take my time with it - more time than money to play with at mo and it's sort of a fun challenge.

Thanks,

Richard :)

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
The trim is like a channel (U) section that the windshield fits in. That's why it is frequently damaged when the adhesive is cut.

·
1991 164L
27,800 Posts
You really can't remove trim until you remove windshield and getting that out without damaging trim is the problem. Trim has semi-serrated teeth on inside that get caught up in the sealant and get caught up in the sealant so cutting into sealant usually bebds the teeth.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Some pics of the trim piece. It was at the time the last remaining windshield trim Alfa USA in Orlando had. It clips on the windshield before installation. Note the serrated back and rubber backing. Rubber backing will not survive windshield removal and isn't really necessary for appearance anyway. The trim usually gets bent up removing the windshield. It depends how badly it gets bent if it can be reused. Most Glass shops have similar products they can substitute. They won't look exactly the same.

My installer used one of these oscillating tool to cut the adhesive. Here's a pic of the tool, but not the right blade. He used a longer blade with a knife edge.

A jig saw won't work as you can't get the close enough to the windshield.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,886 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Solvent might be the only way for me, having seen the scaring toothed trim pics. In the worst case how much would it cost to get a bespoke rear window made up if ever needed?

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
There should be plenty of them in the junk yards over there. They probably have experience taking them out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts