Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exhaust do you have on your 164? My stock exhaust is due for replacement, and I started looking for something else, only to discover that not many are made for the 164. All I have found is the Remus:

- and the Ansa:

I want something looking cool, with a great sound - not too loud. AlfaRacer75 tells me that he had positive experiences with the Ansa. Any other experiences with 164 exhausts?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Ansa's don't have the best reputation in the four cylinder world from a longevity point of view. Stebro are suposedly well made, all stainless, but expensive. I've also read a couple of customer service horror stories though. YMMV.

Ciao,

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AlfaTaso,
I think the ANSA looks like excellent quality - and that is all I have been told about it too. As you mention, money is of course an object, but in the end, the ANSA might just be the best choice, since they apparently last much longer than the standard exhaust.

Then theres the sound and the look - har to put a pricetag on that ;) I will go for the ANSA - and send you guys a pic when I have it fitted.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,370 Posts
To weigh in on the sound issue, the Stebro is much, much deeper sounding than the ANSA tailpipe. It almost sounds like a V-8.

They are also physically bigger (tubing and muffler box) than OEM or ANSA.

ANSA have a reputation for rusting from the inside out in just a couple of years.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Supersprint.

I've had Ansa and Stebro on my 75/Milano and have been ... underwhelmed by both. The Stebro sounded OK but the welds eventually rusted here in sunny California. I haven't bothered to contact Stebro because I've since discovered Supersprint.

These systems are harder to come by, and are about 10-15% more expensive than Ansa or Stebro. But they simply sound -gorgeous-.

I wish I had a sound byte to share with you, of the sounds out of my 155V6 (2.5) It's really creamy yet throaty and purposeful. Very nice indeed.

For us here in the US, you'll have to go to www.ebay.de to find a unit and have it shipped over here. It's not that big a deal and many of us here have done it many times. Most ebay.de folks take Paypal too.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Paypal? I dont' know about that. Since about a year ago I've bought quite a number of Alfa related parts off Ebay.de and none of them took paypal. Actually never saw an ebay listing with paypal logo on it. In most cases I had to send cash in the mail or send through the bank. Also what's up with them all indicating that they will only ship to Germany or Europe??? What is it so hard to ship to USA? But I admit that most people didn't mind shipping to me and only couple refused. After all it's no big deal. I use altavista translator but most of them speaks english quite well.

tj

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

i fitted a Ragazzon backbox (OV 115X70) to my -93 UK twinspark.
Gives a nice respectable idle tone. Not too boomy under low revs, fairly subtle. Once up to temperature gives a nice throaty roar on acceleration.

http://www.ragazzon.it/eng/index.asp

dunno about V6 though, they don't appear to list any, neither complete systems for Alfa's. A shame as they are quality pieces of kit.

Dex.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Magnaflow all the way! Here is my exhaust setup; stock to the cat, no center muffler, and a Magnaflow rear muffler...sounds sooooo good. I actually have a recording of it if you want to hear it! :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
alfa_164s said:
Nice sound Shannon. Is magnaflow stain less? Ans do you still burn Bimmers in California?
Thanks! I really love how it sounds. Yep, it's stainless. As for burning the Bimmers... sure why not! (as long as they aren't the ones with the red, purple and blue badges on them!!)

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
How about making your own? Sure is by far the cheapest...

I find it difficult to find a system that match my needs and almost always make my own.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts