Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for the Alfa 164 Euro headlights with the bottom trim.

Found a set on ebay but was hoping for something a bit more economically priced. Let me know

·
Premium Member
15,430 Posts
they are sometimes advertised from OZ, but the rediculous shipping costs these days makes them pretty expensive.

Do remember that you can use some Bosch rhd versions, since the low beam cutoff shield can be adjusted to lhd by loosening a screw holding it in place. I did it with the headlights I put into the LS.

·
Premium Member
15,430 Posts
Doesn't seem to be for the Bosch, as the light is designed to be able to change the cutoff alignment, for world market I presume. I've not noticed any weird low beam pattern. Seems to be correct. Certainly, low beam appears to have just a circular lens, no pattern, and looking at the high beam lens, they are the same each side, except opposite in their slight pattern, which won't make any difference for either side, rhd or lhd.

Works for me, great light, and no one has flashed their lights in protest when oncoming with my car's low beams on. BTW, per Steve's choice, I do have them hooked up with a switch so that I can run low beams in conjunction with the high beams, if I want. Don't do it all the time, or even most of the time. Depends, and don't want to overheat things.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
FWIW, look on the US eBay site and look at h4 conversions, then look at a rhd country eBay site, notice when facing the headlight lhd cars have an angled cutoff on the left, which spreads more light to the right of center on the light pattern, now rhd countries have the same pattern only reversed, the angled cutoff is on the right, completely reversed from lhd headlights. Again, just saying. Also some manufacturers sell headlights which do not have a diffuser/deflector shield, the bulb is completely visible, the only way to alter the optical pattern is done via a rhd or lhd specific lens. It’s quite common to see a British car in Europe where they have placed tape over the offending portion of the lens to prevent blinding oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a set on ebay right now for $500 plus $75 shipping from Germany, its the only complete with trim set.

·
Premium Member
15,430 Posts
Again, just saying.

The Bosch headlights used in the 164 have a metal shield for the low beam cutoff, which can be rotated to the lhd position. Did it for the Bosch headights in my LS. Work fine.

But yes, some headlights have unique lenses. The USA delivery supplied do. These do not, it appears.

·
Premium Member
9,683 Posts
I think on RHD cars the lens pattern is also different than LHD cars, just a thought.
yes and no. The lens itself is the same, the coding on the lens is different. You can used the lens of a RHD car but not the lamps themselves as the cutoff is the opposite of course.

Can't really change them either, the cutoff is mounted permanently onto the projector.

***These lamps do not have a sliding cutoff to make them flat like others.***

These were designed in the day where that was just coming out, of course the Germans first but otherwise you had to use a beam deflector product on the lens if you went into RHD country.

So RHD is stuck in RHD. Do not buy them for LHD. You will blind oncoming traffic and the beam pattern is going to be swapped in general.

If you want some I have sources for them. Even new. I also have 2 projector units available in LHD if you want to buy the RHD and swap out the projectors.

I know these lamps like the back of my hand. So let me know?

IMG_3846.jpg

IMG_3847.jpg

·
Premium Member
15,430 Posts
"Can't really change them either, the cutoff is mounted permanently onto the projector"

"So RHD is stuck in RHD. Do not buy them for LHD. You will blind oncoming traffic and the beam pattern is going to be swapped in general"

Neither statement appears to be true for certain Bosch headlights, at least the ones I've seen and have. I cannot speak for other brands of headlights. When you buy headlights you have to ask, which brand?

The Bosch headlights people have been installing in their USA delivery 164s, at least the ones I bought, have an internal low beam cutoff mechanical metal shield which rotates (the entire bulb assy rotates), held in place by a screw. You CAN loosen that screw and rotate the cutoff shield to lhd from rhd, or vice versa. I did it on the Bosch headlights I bought and installed in my LS.

The low beam lenses are each symmetrically the same in pattern (meaning that they match each other regardless of side), and the high beam lenses are simply circular in shape and patternless. In other words, these Bosch headlights are designed to be used in either driving standard.

I repeat, the above statements are for the Bosch headlights which most have been buying and installing.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I bought a set of the projector headlights a good 15 years ago that I believe were Bosch. I don't have the car anymore, but from what I remember they looked exactly like the photos posted by alfissimo. I didn't realize they were RHD until after they were installed. I ended up cutting out the little plate that is shaped like a mountain range (shown in the last photo), flipping it around and riveting or bolting it back in place. Worked fine for me, but probably easier to find a LHD set if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,430 Posts
Evidently the newer Bosch are easier to change, as I did. Piece of cake and they work fine.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
I have a set, pretty much as new. The auto elevation/angle adjustment is not present. Trim pieces as well but they'd need painting. PM me if you want more info. Ciao, chris

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the set from jc96, thanks all!

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Here's a teaser. Thanx for the purchase and trust. Ciao, chris

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,683 Posts
"Can't really change them either, the cutoff is mounted permanently onto the projector"

"So RHD is stuck in RHD. Do not buy them for LHD. You will blind oncoming traffic and the beam pattern is going to be swapped in general"

Neither statement appears to be true for Bosch headlights, at least the ones I've seen and have. I cannot speak for other brands of headlights. When you buy headlights you have to ask, which brand?

The Bosch headlights people have been installing in their USA delivery 164s, at least the ones I bought, have an internal low beam cutoff mechanical metal shield which rotates, held in place by a screw. You CAN loosen that screw and rotate the cutoff shield to lhd from rhd, or vice versa. I did it on the Bosch headlights I bought and installed in my LS.

The low beam lenses are each symmetrically the same in pattern (meaning that they match each other regardless of side), and the high beam lenses are simply circular in shape and patternless. In other words, these Bosch headlights are designed to be used in either driving standard.

I repeat, the above statements are for the Bosch headlights which most have been buying and installing.
It's true. Those pictures are from projectors from a 164 headlamps (also used in 155), BOSCH. Most are stuck in the position they are coded for on the lens. In all the years of messing with these lamps, I have never seen on like this that is adjustable and I have seen a ton. I am sure they exist but in very few qty's. I'd love to see them and codes on the front lens.
Not sure what you mean by "other brands of lights"? There was only bosch and that was it. Automotive lighting took over the tooling for the aftermarket but they were the same exact lamps, in-fact most of those still had bosch on the lenses.

·
Premium Member
15,430 Posts
Maybe I'll have to take pictures.

I meant other brands of headlights such as Cibie, Marchal, Elma, Carello, etc, with lhs/rhs drive specific lenses for many cars, not just the 164.

·
Premium Member
15,430 Posts
Took some photos of the insides of the Bosch headlights I installed in my LS. These are the ones for which I changed the RHD low beam shield to LHD by rotating the low beam bulb assy w/cutoff shield.

Will load them as soon as I get access to my wife's computer, lol.

A couple of the labeling at the bottom of the lhs lens. Notice the double headed arrow at the bottom of the last picture. I'm making a rash assumption that it means it can go either way, since it obviously does.

The second picture shows the low bean lens with no side specific pattern.

The third shows the high beam with a more or less symmetric pattern, the rhs light has the same except opposite.

The fourth shows the curved slot with the screw head. when loosened, you can rotate the light assy to change the cutoff shield angle.

The fifth shows a code "HCR" and the double headed arrow.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts