Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I have a 91 164 S. On occasion I will hear a very noticible (loud) ticking sound coming from the passenger side of the engine bay after some light driving.

I can remedy this either by flushing the engine and changing the oil.... or some spirited driving for 5min or so. The ticking is from the top end of the engine and sounds like valve train noise.

As mentioned... it will go away for considerable amounts of time after a flush/oil change and or an italian tune up.

The ticking also dissappears at rpms over 1000.... and is not heard above that point...also it is only heard after the engine is up to temp ..... (everything is quiet when I start the car)

My question: is this a simple case of deposits within the engine... or should I be on the hunt for something that means rebuild...

Thanks
Martin

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Maybe just a little excess clearance on an exhaust valve rocker arm.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Have you done a valve lash adjustment (exhaust adjust, and intake check)?
Charles

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Martin, use a feeler gauge to see what clearances you have have for intake and exhaust valves. I believe the engine must be cold to get the correct measurements. Exhaust is easily done with simple tools, however, the intake requires the removal of the camshafts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts