Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the 164 has thrown me a curve ball. After a straight forward and successful timing belt change the 'door open' switch as per my previous thread and now the dash panel lights have gone.

I went to drive home from a friends house last night and notice i couldn't see the speedo or rev counter. All the warning lights work just fine.

I tracked it down to blown number 23 fuse, left side light, right rear light and instrument panel. I changed out the fuse for another 7.5 and it blew as soon as i turned the lights on. I have so far taken out the interment cluster and checked all the bulbs and the circuit board for shorts. It all looks fine. I tried disconnecting the right rear tail lamp cluster, instrument panel and front left park light and replaced the fuse. It blew again as soon as i turned the lights on.

This is a tough one. How do i go about finding the short?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes i do have an after market stereo and come to think of it, the other day it was not working properly. It wouldn't turn on and just crackled. I wonder if that is where the short is lol.

Is the radio on the same fuse? o

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I have disconnected the stereo and checked for shorts and bad connections and fixed any that looked bad but I still keep blowing the same fuse. I'm completely at a loss as to where it could be.

·
Premium Member
26,994 Posts
What did you do on the door open switch problem?

·
Premium Member
26,994 Posts
Your left or my right? Front of engine side is my right is it yours, too?

Since you worked on timing belt which is on right side of car is that the side light out when fuse blown or other side the left side of car?

I had this problem once and it was a side light binker in fender (right wing) that was shorted and blowing my fuse.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its the instrument panel illumination fuse that is blowing. Its also connected to the front left park light and right rear tail lamp. Car is right hand drive. Right and left assittibg in drivers seat.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I got the short finder, but i'm still just as stumped as to where the short is. I'll have to take it to an Auto Electrician. :(

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problem is solved. It was a pinched wire behind the dash. I took the car to an auto electrician. Unfortunately they had to remove the dash to get to the short therefore the bill was quite unsightly after 10+ hours of work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts