Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 12V 1990 / GTV 916 2l TS 1999
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! 😊

I have a simple and cheap solution for the left engine mount (Gearbox) that i wanted to share with you. I had the problem that shifting was quite hard and "noisy". There was a lot of resistence while shifting gears. I quickly realized that the gear linkage from the passanger cabin to the enigne bay was rubbing on the isolation from the firewall. Meaning that the engine mount was so worn out the complete drivetrain was lowered on the left side. I measured the space bewteen gearbox and subframe. 5,5cm. After the new mount was in 7cm.

Getting parts for 164´s is a pain in the a##. I only found 1 left engine mount, NOS and in italy for 200€. I dont wanted to spend that much money on such a simple part. So i tried to use a engine mount from a car (or brand) which part politics are better, cheaper and better available.

For the "prototype" a used a almost new engine mount from a friend of mine. He is driving a BMW 328 E46. Just from the looks of it it´s quite similar.

The only thing needed from the old mount is the "plate" on the bottom to bolt it back to the subframe. So i used a knife to cut the rubbermount from the plate. To get rid from the rest of the rubber a used a flame.

The only thing left to do is to grind away that little sleeve. Then drill the hol a litter bigger from 10mm to 10,5mm.

We just need to cut the thread thats sticking out a little shorter.

The plate should now look like this

Then just bolt the BMW mount to the plate and than to the subframe, done!

Installed it looks like OEM. The bracket is not perfectly in the middle of the mount but i dont think thats bad. In the e46 these mounts are installed with a slight angle. So i dont think it will wore out faster. After all its still much much more better than a old and broken one.

BMW part number is: 22 11 6 771 361

The most of them come as a set with 2 identical mounts. Price for one is about 25€ here in Germany.

Maybe it helps one of you! 😌

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,597 Posts
Where there is a will there is a way.

·
Premium Member
4,783 Posts
Where there is a will there is a way.
Where there's a will, there's a slew of attorneys and a line of long lost relatives previously unknown to the decedent. Ciao, Chris

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I have a Volvo one waiting for a transplant (with alteration) but I made the front-right one out of urethane epoxy. Works great. I think my left-rear is a bit saggy so will debate another creation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts