Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the daughters 156 is sorted (thanks AlfaSouth!).

Now I'm in need of a drivers inner door handle and locking mechanism for my sons 164. I was sure I had a spare door handle but it turns out all the ones out of the car are left hand side. Are the rear handles different to the front? Also need the door latch / locking mechanism from inside the door. Anyone wrecking a 164? I'd also be interested in a whole car if any one knows of a unsalvageable one in the south Island.

All this stems from trying to open the door after a hard frost had frozen the door shut! (An unforeseen peril of working nights).

Once all the kids cars are sorted, I may be able to get things done on mine!

·
Premium Member
15,888 Posts
The rear outside handles are a little different than the fronts but a few have said that they were able to slightly modify a rear to work in the front. There are new (aftermarket?) front units available from suppliers such as Alfissimo International (Jason, a good guy). I bought one from him. They look good and are primered but otherwise unpainted. Just access his very good web site.

Usually the inside latch handles can be repaired depending on how they broke. There are two different repairs shown in the AlfaBB 164 section, in "Alfisto Steve's maintenance tips" site I think (first site in the 164 section). I and others have done variations on these repairs with success. Do a search on the BB for more info.

Bad luck trying to open a 164 door when things are frozen. The handles usually break, as most of the time they are cracked somewhere anyway, esp the outer handles. Those are poorly designed and have a weak point where the little actuation arm attaches inside, pulls out of the outer handle surface. You can see the crack forming on the outside in many handles.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts