Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Put a new drivers door on a 164 (guessing same for all models) by taking off the front bumper and the driver's front wing.

Did best to align things before re-assembly but once back together was not perfect with the front wing. Not surprisingly.

Rather than go through the whole process again, can anyone recommend any shaped spanners/tools that can be used to access the hinge to body bolts while the wing is still on the car?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
There would not have been any reason to remove the bumper or wing (fender) to change a 164 door.

The 164 has a brilliant door hinge that is easily adjusted for angle at the hinge pin. It has a cone shape that will adjust for angle (if it's not rusted solid) when the "set" bolt at the end of the hinge pin is loosened it is free to adjust. Once the door angle is where needs to be, you just tighten the bolt back up (at each hinge of course).

I had a thread on these hinges somewhere attempting to explain it, but I can't find it right now. I did find Alfisto Steve's thread though:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/161081-working-door-hinge-pin-latch-164-a.html

Charles

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, many thanks for the replies.

Was unable to get the hinge pin off the donor car, although managed it on the old door. The fastenings were slightly different is my excuse for probable stupidity ;-)

Having resorted to the route of undoing the six 13mm (M8) hinge bolts and removing them from one shell, including shims, and transferring it all to the other car, the scope for misalignment is way more than any hinge pin adjustment can cope with by itself. Clearly I've gone down the wrong path in the process but now I am on that path the question is how to resolve it.

Trial and error seems to be the way forward now, via the six 13mm bolts, but with the wing still on for visual alignment. Just need some kind of bent/shaped spanner to get to the bolts between the back of the wing and the front of the door. Or a magician...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts