Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got back from a quick trip to Calif and my 164 wouldn't start. Thought the battery was low because the driver's seat decided to move about on its own(?) but a load test showed the battery fully charged and healthy. Tried to start again and noticed that the dash light came on with key on but didn't dim when the key was in start position. A few tries more and the lights dimmed and the starter veeerry slooowly started to crank and the car started and ran like a top. Came out of the bank and same thing; turned the key several times until the dash lights dimmed and it turned over slowly and started. Got home and it hasn't started since. It tried to crank over for a few seconds then the starter selinoid started clicking just like a low battery. Have cleaned the connections to the battery and coated lightly them with grease. Had the started out when I did the clutch a couple of months ago and it has been starting and running great till this. Is there a starter relay? or could this be a weak ingnition switch? or? Think its a bad connection but no idea where it might be. Any advice will be heeded. Very best wishes for a fun and fruitful 2008!
Cheers,
Ken
'67 GTV Jr.
'74 GTV
'91 164
'59 Panhard Dyna Z

·
1991 164L
27,635 Posts
Got back from a quick trip to Calif and my 164 wouldn't start. Thought the battery was low because the driver's seat decided to move about on its own(?) but a load test showed the battery fully charged and healthy. Tried to start again and noticed that the dash light came on with key on but didn't dim when the key was in start position. A few tries more and the lights dimmed and the starter veeerry slooowly started to crank and the car started and ran like a top. Came out of the bank and same thing; turned the key several times until the dash lights dimmed and it turned over slowly and started. Got home and it hasn't started since. It tried to crank over for a few seconds then the starter selinoid started clicking just like a low battery. Have cleaned the connections to the battery and coated lightly them with grease. Had the started out when I did the clutch a couple of months ago and it has been starting and running great till this. Is there a starter relay? or could this be a weak ingnition switch? or? Think its a bad connection but no idea where it might be. Any advice will be heeded. Very best wishes for a fun and fruitful 2008!
Cheers,
Ken
'67 GTV Jr.
'74 GTV
'91 164
'59 Panhard Dyna Z
My money is on your battery so get it tested. You need 11.5 volts and plenty of cold cranking amps. Have you checked fluid level and specific gravity in each cell. Have a load test put on battery at auto parts store near you.

Remove battery terminals inspect and clean both posts and inside terminals with a post and terminal tool.

·
Premium Member
9,873 Posts
Cheers,
Ken
'67 GTV Jr.
'74 GTV
'91 164
'59 Panhard Dyna Z
I don't know but it sure sounds like a Battery problem to me. I had 2 164's come through here with the same issue. Found it to be a bad battery, one was NEW from NAPA and was leaking slightly, the other was a slightly or dead cell which seemed fine until you started it. Dim lights and no crank.
You need to make sure you have a very powerful battery 925+CCA.
Anyways, could be the issue!
Could be a bad ignition switch as well.

Hope that helps...
J

1 - 3 of 3 Posts