Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Unfortunately your gear case is destroyed. No practical way to repair it. I had the same happen to me twice.
Charles

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
When the diff pin backs out it impacts the center of the bellhousing not the diff case. I seriously doubt the bellhousing could be relied upon ever again, even with serious cast aluminum welding skills. If you have access to a whole nother trans, just put a Q2 in it. A later model trans is supposed to be engineered stouter so that would be a preferred gearbox to have anyway. If it has other issues, than think about having it repaired. If it is in one piece it is already an improvement over what you have. I have pics of the type of damage resulting from this failure in threads I have posted regarding the issue and you will be able to see what I am talking about.

edit: image added

Was yours inpacted differently?
Charles

Attachments

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I think it will really have to come apart to inspect the insides of the case, diff and bellhousing for damage. May not be impossible to fix. I have a spare diff cover if you need one and various other trans parts. Just let me know if you need something. Trans parts are generally hard to come by, but I have many items loose in a box.
Charles

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I did notice on the Fiat eper parts program that the diff rear casing is not shown or listed, suggesting that it is sold with a bell housing, probably matched and line bored, similar to cam clamps and heads being matched and line bored.

This suggests that care should be taken to match things up as best as one could.
I'm sure you are right, good point.
Charles

1 - 4 of 4 Posts