Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 1991 164L, auto wi 245k miles - everything rebuilt at 187k for about 6 months, i have had oil in coolant, then a coolant leak that i cannot isolate:

1) car is ice cold in the am, light on,coolant empty, when i remove cap, still under pressure, resevoir bone dry, fill up coolant.
2) start car, coolant immediately gets "sucked down", light still on, leave car at idle
3) when you squeeze the main radiator hose - it's really hard, but you can see coolant forced into to resevoir from top left hose, level still really low
4) drive around the block for 5 minutes, light off, stop, turn off engine, park, lift hood - coolant resevoir full, shooting out of overflow port, coolant boiling inside
5) then quickly starts "sucking down" again, until resevoir is empty

car never over heats, and still drives fantastic. my mechanic put some sealant in the coolant a while back and that helped reduce my coolant loss for awhile, also replaced the coolant cap, though I still think it's a bit stripped. radiator, h2O pump, etc are new in tha past year or so.

this is my pattern every day or to - any advice?

Thanks, Khalil

BTW, I now see sludge under the oil cap.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Looks like a blown head gasket: compression from the cylinders leaks into the water jacket. Thus, pressure builds up on the cooling circuit and your hose gets really hard right after you turn the engine on but before the coolant warms up.

First you mentioned the boiling coolant when you stop. Then you say it never overheats.

The pressure that gets into the water jacket when a head gasket is blow would have displaced the coolant from the block. I suggest having the cylinders checked for good compression.

·
Premium Member
27,292 Posts
Did you have heads retorqued after about 650 to 1000 miles after engine work as required by shop manual.

Do you also have water in crankcase now?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts