Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put the finishing touches on a custom car computer project for my 164S.
Basically took an old laptop(under passenger seat), 7" touch screen, and a usb GPS receiver and now I have loads and loads of music (MP3s) on demand, and GPS navigation.
Hope you guys like it!, made my own custom alfa skin :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Will it show real-time telemetry? ;)

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I have the Garmin Street pilot and I like it a lot. Its portable I can take it car to car or just leave it in.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The really cold air from the A/C seems to be at the center vent for me. It loses something at the window vents. I couldn't cover mine up. Nice handiwork though.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I was thinking about getting one of these for my laptop. Seems like a cheap way to get GPS in the car.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=6445
Before you buy any GPS receiver, look for two important things

1) How much time it takes to get signal when you start it up (the best one that I came across is of Microsoft [takes around 4sec]).
2) How long it can hold the signal in tunnels without getting lost by the time you come out of tunnel (same rule applies in weak signal areas).

I too didnt like the idea of blocking center vent, so I had mine above it. For now I am using a windshield suction thing, but 'm in process of making a nice fiberglass housing that sits nicely over center vent. I had my laptop in my trunk over battery (so that I can take it out when ever I want and use it easily). I had installed a momentary switch parallel to my laptop power switch so that I can power on/off from inside (will replace this as soon as I had a security system installed and use a relay signal to do the momentary switch work). I had a Slot loading DVDdrive under the glove compartment and on center console an aux headphone jack, a USB and firewire terminal. The remaining items I need to add is, USB TV tuner to laptop and TV antenna inside rear windshield. My GPS receiver is located on rear windshield.

-Pavan.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Hey this is really neat! Can you surf the web too? :)
Yes, you can, the easiest way is to subscribe to verizon wireless and enjoy wireless on the go. But there are many other services online that you can subscribe and get wireless on the go. I remember reading about a service that they have in NY/NJ area, where they even update you about the locations of cop cars on freeways thru GPS :).

-Pavan.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Yes, you can, the easiest way is to subscribe to verizon wireless and enjoy wireless on the go. But there are many other services online that you can subscribe and get wireless on the go. I remember reading about a service that they have in NY/NJ area, where they even update you about the locations of cop cars on freeways thru GPS :).

-Pavan.
Sorry, that service you speak about is not true. I suppose a patrol car could be tracked, but they only use cellular technology to transmit criminal justice related information. They do not use GPS and there is no consumer product that tracks them other than a radio scanner.

·
Registered
54 Posts
By a rule of thumb if you are connected to a wireless network you can be tracked (at least in most areas). Just a standard ping from your phone to 3 wireless towers provides enough information for tracking. So if you know the ID's of the cop's then you could track them.. I would be surprised if they would let them do so though. o_0

·
Registered
852 Posts
Sorry, that service you speak about is not true. I suppose a patrol car could be tracked, but they only use cellular technology to transmit criminal justice related information. They do not use GPS and there is no consumer product that tracks them other than a radio scanner.
Yes, you can, I will give you the link for that site that provides that service (latr when I get the time)... you have to subscribe to it and you have to use their online GPS to gain all those features (real-traffic monitoring, detours etc). I know its sounds illegal, but I am just saying that there is a service like tht.

-Pavan.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Just put the finishing touches on a custom car computer project for my 164S.
Basically took an old laptop(under passenger seat), 7" touch screen, and a usb GPS receiver and now I have loads and loads of music (MP3s) on demand, and GPS navigation.
Hope you guys like it!, made my own custom alfa skin :D
Excellent work! :)
As for the loss of the airvent, at least all the airflow that would have come out of the centre vent will now be diverted to the two outside vents, so I'm sure they will cool down to some extent compared with the standard arrangement. Most of the year, my 164 blows air mostly from the footwell or demister vents anyway. The face-vents alone only come into play when the weather is warm, and if trying to cool down the cabin after being parked, I find it's better to open a few windows anyway. (no pun intended!)

What app are you using to play MP3s?

I'd love to make a computer for my 164 as well, but on a totally different level ;) I envisaged a two-line LCD to give readouts of instant and average fuel consumption, trip cost, range, etc. I thought I could use a microcontroller to read the injector outputs and measure duration, and thus calculate fuel used (would need to be calibrated, of course).

-Alex

1 - 15 of 15 Posts