Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I responded to an ad for a 1992 164 2.0 Twin Spark this afternoon. The car had been sitting without a battery for a couple of months according to the owner. We fitted the battery from my 146 1.6 TSpark. When I turned the ignition all the lights came on momentarily and then went out as normal. I turned the car on and all lights came back on (ALL of them) and the open-door indicator lights were intermittently on (all doors shut close). The idle seemed jittery between 800 and 900 revs.

Can this be a major ECU failure?

I took the car for a ride, the lights still on, and the engine felt sorta sluggish up a hill, but not so bad. Exhaust smells a bit on the rich side, but no visible smoke.

The odometer reads 85,000 km. The exterior and interior look decent and engine bay looks clean. Is it worth the US$ 850.00 asking price? (the car is in El Salvador and used parts are not too easy to come by but can patiently order spares from my helpful friend Gritsop).

Thanks.

Samuel Navarrete

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,322 Posts
Suspect you have a bad "press to test" icons button. I had this happen to a 164L.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Suspect you have a bad "press to test" icons button. I had this happen to a 164L.
Thank you for your help Alfisto Steve. Apparently the car reset itself this morning, as dashboard lights stopped acting up. The erratic idle seems to be caused by dirt in the gas tank after sitting there for so long.

I'm buying the car today :) ! The 164FL will be a good playmate to my 146 and 33s

1 - 3 of 3 Posts