Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

having seen how deeply the throttle cables are buried (even worse on RHD cars than LHD ones) does anyone have any tips on the best type/grade of oil to drip into one?

Keen to do anything to preserve the life expectancy.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
graphite is conductive. I'd use sewing machine oil or 3 in 1 with the long flex spout. ciao, chris

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,856 Posts
I use a cable luber similar to the one shown below and a spray can of TriFlow lubricant.

Cable Luber

Most motorcycle shops carry cable lubers.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys.

Not sure why graphite conducting would be a problem, unless thinking of possible oil running through and dropping onto the electrics inside the car.

Light oil like 3 in 1 is an option. Specific lube for cables sounds even better. One of my concerns was an oil degrading the inner sleeve that runs inside the cable casing. Hopefully a specific cable lube would have stuff that allows for that. Or am I just being over cautious and 10w/40 engine oil would be fine?

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
I guess 10W40 would be fine but being in England you might consider a 0W20 or a straight 10W for year round use. OTOH, it is warm under the hood so maybe a 50W is more appropriate. s/o. I didn't realize they made cable lube but thinking about it, it does make sense. I'd go that route. ciao, chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts