Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 91 164L has an intermittant brake problem. On sereral occasions the breaks seem to stick on when the pedal is released. This happens in heavy stop and go traffic in warm weather. When it occurs the car stalls when the cluch is released, and when it is restarted you can force the car to overpower the breaks and get to the side of the road.

I first thought it was a brake fluid leak and this system was in a fail-safe mode, but there is plenty of fluid.

After a few minutes looking under the hood and scratching my head it works fine on restart. I'm thinking someting is wacky in the ABS System. Perhaps in the computer since the "reboot" seems to cure the problem.

I have the fluid changes every two years like the book says.

Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

GianniB, Thanks for the wealth of imformation. My 91 has older brake hoses, so I think I will change them and the fluid.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sticking 164 brakes

I have replaced the brake hoses and switched to DOT 3. The problem continues. It seems the right front wheel is hotter than the rest when the problem occurs. My mechanic says replace the front calapers. I looked at them and they appear fine. The pistons compress with out a lot of effort, or more improtantly, with the same effort as the drivers side.

What has to cool down, the brakes or the ABS pump?

I am reluctant to replace calapers that seem fine. Any thoughts?

thanks, Trav

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
I'm not very familiar with the 164 ABS system but I'm willing to bet that if the left rear brake is as hot as the right front, then the master cylinder is kaput.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
papajam said:
I'm not very familiar with the 164 ABS system but I'm willing to bet that if the left rear brake is as hot as the right front, then the master cylinder is kaput.
Steve and I agreed on this one. My mom had a very similar problem with her 164L, except she kept going and bearings overheated and the brakes/bearing eventually locked up and the tire caught fire. Well that's the short story anyway. Master cylinder is most likely the culprit and I would recommend replace ASAP!

·
Premium Member
9,747 Posts
Trav said:
My 91 164L has an intermittant brake problem. On sereral occasions the breaks seem to stick on when the pedal is released. This happens in heavy stop and go traffic in warm weather. When it occurs the car stalls when the cluch is released, and when it is restarted you can force the car to overpower the breaks and get to the side of the road.

I first thought it was a brake fluid leak and this system was in a fail-safe mode, but there is plenty of fluid.

After a few minutes looking under the hood and scratching my head it works fine on restart. I'm thinking someting is wacky in the ABS System. Perhaps in the computer since the "reboot" seems to cure the problem.

I have the fluid changes every two years like the book says.

Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks for your help!
Several things can cause this.
Brake fluid, yes. Flush and use ATE brake fluid Either the Super Blue or Gold.
MC going bad is the main one!
Heat causes this!
I had this problem when it got hot here in Phoenix. Everyday!!

I replaced MC and used ATE super blue (high temp race fluid safe for standard brake systems). I have not had the problem since.
Now, I also wrapped my MC in COOL IT thermal TEC heat wrap, resitant up to 2000F.
I am fairly certain the engine heat causes most of this problem.
Using just any old fluid can cause the MC gaskets to outgas, which causes the MC to fail sooner and put gas pockets in the system.

Brake lines can collapse but doubt yours is doing this.

It could be a caliper as well. I suspect that your rear calipers are sticking, yes?
You can tell when you stop, 1 or all will be hotter than the rest!

If it happens when the temp is higher outside and the car has been runnign for while, MC and Fluid!

Go with a fluid change first. As I said I suggest using the above not some brand you can get at the local autoparts store, even castrol did not work.
As I said with the ATE I have never had a problem since.

I have both MC/ATE fluid in stock if you would like to try?
Good luck!
Jason

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Trav it is master cylinder ALMOST certain. Do you have ABS or non-ABS 164?

If ABS system it only uses two of four ports on master cylinder and plugs off one on each end of MC but if non-ABS 164 it uses all four ports.

Mine did this brake lock up last summer on hot day. My left rear was one to do the blue smoke trick the worse but it can be any one or more than one.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys thanks for all the input. Replacing the MC did fix the problem. I'm not sure why all the interest almost three years later but thanks. That reminds me, I should flush the brake fluid!

TD

1 - 10 of 10 Posts