Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cold weather knocked out my battery. The Interstate is ridiculously expensive. Was thniking of going with a size 27 and but a wood spacer in. Went over to Sam's Club and voila! They had a size 31 energizer for $84! Bought that and now don't need to worry about a spacer! Terry

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Good deal!
I just bought one from O'Rielly Auto Parts, the right size and 1000 CCA! $91 total.;)

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I didn't realize it was that easy to find the correct size... This is good to know. Thanks, gentlemen.

Best regards,

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
16,812 Posts
I've been running the $50 Kirkland (Costco) smaller size (27?) for years, yes, with a spacer, and have had no problems ever in any of the Alfas. The Interstate called for in the 164 model always crapped out within a couple of years. I've not had much luck with that brand and size, regardless of the manufacturer. I think there are only about 3 or 4 companies making car batteries these days, with just different labels and specs.

·
Registered
112 Posts
battery choices

My original Delco battery lasted 10 years, that's 10 Canadian winters. The Interstate I replaced it with only lasted 5 years. Just died one morning. No power lock, no nothing.
I bought another Delco last year.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The Interstate battery in my 94 is on it's 7th year and still doing ok. It had to endure multiple full discharges during several extended repairs, one time more than 6 month long. Not bad considering full discharge and lack of charge for several month will kill most battery. But it's getting weaker as weather is getting colder here.

·
1991 164L
27,633 Posts
The Interstate battery in my 94 is on it's 7th year and still doing ok. It had to endure multiple full discharges during several extended repairs, one time more than 6 month long. Not bad considering full discharge and lack of charge for several month will kill most battery. But it's getting weaker as weather is getting colder here.

I don't think brand has much to do with it. I changed my first Interstate 31 while still working fine after 8 years just for safety reasons even though still strong. NAPA replacement actually did go bad in only about 6 years. I am running a type 27 now but when it goes I will check out Sam's Type 31.

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
I have a truck/tractor (?) battery from Advance Auto in mine.

Works great.

·
1991 164L
27,633 Posts
I have a truck/tractor (?) battery from Advance Auto in mine.

Works great.
That is probably the Type 31 for truck/bus/catapiller/tractor/164

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just bought a Type 31 from Advance also. I saw on their website that it was an externally vented battery, but couldn't find a vent tube in the car. Is there supposed to be one? Am I going to poison myself with sulfuric acid fumes by not venting it?

Sorry for the thread hijack... I figured this was pretty close to the original topic.

Thanks.

·
1991 164L
27,633 Posts
I just bought a Type 31 from Advance also. I saw on their website that it was an externally vented battery, but couldn't find a vent tube in the car. Is there supposed to be one? Am I going to poison myself with sulfuric acid fumes by not venting it?

Sorry for the thread hijack... I figured this was pretty close to the original topic.

Thanks.
This is/was a vent tube that came with the 164 and adapter for it is supposed to come with battery if it is externally vented type.

Here is what it looks like.

I doubt hardly any of us have it hooked up correctly but IMHO it is not the end of the world.

Look for black rubber tube under or behind battery box adapter looks sort of like a mini submarine periscope. It is suppoese to fit on vent port on battery if it has one.

These TSB cover installing it/etc:
Interstate Batteries - use vent hose adapter
Battery Hold Down Modification - procedure and template (for Interstate battery)
Batteries for 164 - Can use Delco P/N 1151, modify bracket

Attachments

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I think the only battery worth the extra money is a Delco. Everything else seems to die right around the time the pro rate does. Heck the Optima in my GTV6 just died at five years and I bought a cheap Costco or Walmart one for like $49.00. For my 164L I have an AutoZone or Kragen replacement and it was about $20 or so less than the interstate name brand one. I think it's made by Exide.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Yes. No.

Since the battery is installed in an enclosed area (trunk) it is obvious that the vent tube is intended for venting some fume or gas out. But I'm guessing the most important concern is to vent out hydrogen (or combustible gas) to prevent the (perhaps very small) possibility of causing an explosion.

If you worry about proper venting, you can get some plastic hose that fit onto the vent port and vent the other side under the car. However, you might need to enlarge the hole on the metal bracket to get a better access to the vent port.

My son also bought a Type 31 from Advance (~$80) when he was away from home last winter. The Optima battery in the car was completely discharged due to some water leaked into the overheat console and collected on the circuit board. He put the new battery in but with the bracket in place the battery vent port location was too low to plug the vent tube in. When he got back home, I enlarged the opening on the bracket and made it lower to allow the vent tube to be connected.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
My original Delco battery lasted 10 years, that's 10 Canadian winters. The Interstate I replaced it with only lasted 5 years. Just died one morning. No power lock, no nothing.
I bought another Delco last year.

Ditto my factory AC Delco battery. Lasted 11 years and 140,000 km of tough Canadian winters before dying suddenly and gracefully on my mechanic's shop floor.

A brand new AC Delco (light truck) battery of the same specification was installed 5 years ago and is going strong.

I have also had bad experience with Interstate. I don't think they are any good at all. Sears Die Hard also used to be very good and then became junk. Exide used to make very good batteries but now I think they also make junk.

Battery warranties are like tire warranties: useless. My 3 year old Interstate battery would have cost me only CDN $15 less to replace under warranty than to buy a new one without claiming under the warranty. That doesn't save you the cost of the install. Heck it doesn't save you rhe cost of going to pick it up!

Good batteries are worth every penny. Cheap batteries even with warranties are for people who are about to sell their car.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I had a bad experience with a Napa battery in my Nissan pickup. It died after a month! Got a replacement free of charge, it now resides in my Peugeot. I started it up today since it was off duty for the week since I rotate my vehicles on a weekly basis. Its been a little cold here, down into the 30's at night, and it was chugging today to start it. I am a little concerned, since my 164 sits for the same amount of time, and it cranks over easily. Oh well, just thought I would share that with you all

·
Registered
393 Posts
I got one of those huge Caterpillar type 31 batteries for the 164. It wasn't cheap. Let's see how long it lasts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts