Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a 1992 164 V6 Automatic and today I was checking fluid levels etc and when I pulled out the dipstick for the automatic transmission I noticed that the dipstick was missing the last section of the dipstick, that is, I have the flexible section of the dip stick but not the all important rigid section with the full and low level markings.

I was hoping that a fellow 164 V6 automatic owner would check their transmission dipstick and tell me the length of the rigid section and how far the full and low level markings are from the end of the dip stick.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
27,322 Posts
Alfa part number is 9944769 but get one from a Saab 9000 in the bone yard.

End is made of black plastic like material.

Metal spring part of dip stick is 10 7/8" from end of green cap to where black piece attached. black piece is 3 1/8" long. Hot MAX full mark is 7/8" from metal spring end, hot MIN is 1 3/8" from metal end. Cold max is 1 3/8" and cold min is 2 1/4".

·
Registered
371 Posts
The end of mine was missing when I bought my car also. Bought a brand new one from one of the dealers. I found the end piece when I drained the transmission.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Dipstick Mesures

Alfa part number is 9944769 but get one from a Saab 9000 in the bone yard.

End is made of black plastic like material.

Metal spring part of dip stick is 10 7/8" from end of green cap to where black piece attached. black piece is 3 1/8" long. Hot MAX full mark is 7/8" from metal spring end, hot MIN is 1 3/8" from metal end. Cold max is 1 3/8" and cold min is 2 1/4".
Dear Steve,

i just place another topic about this same issue. I don't know what to do... Can I delete the topic?

The dipstick that you provide the mesures is the same for the 164 3.0 24V Automatic (ZF4HP18QE)?

Can i replace the end plastic end section with a steel made one?

Best Regards from the sunny Brazil, Casé

·
Premium Member
27,322 Posts
Dear Steve,

i just place another topic about this same issue. I don't know what to do... Can I delete the topic?

The dipstick that you provide the mesures is the same for the 164 3.0 24V Automatic (ZF4HP18QE)?

Can i replace the end plastic end section with a steel made one?

Best Regards from the sunny Brazil, Casé
I guess you can if you can use something strong and flexible. Not sure how you will attach it to end of flexible spring.

Don't worry about deleting your other post. But to delete a post you can hit edit button to go delete button if it comes up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I guess you can if you can use something strong and flexible. Not sure how you will attach it to end of flexible spring.

Don't worry about deleting your other post. But to delete a post you can hit edit button to go delete button if it comes up.
Dear Alfisto Steve,

Are these the same measures for the dipsticks of ZF4HP18Q and ZF4HP18QE?

Thanks for the e-tip.

Best Regards, Casé

·
Premium Member
27,322 Posts
Dear Alfisto Steve,

Are these the same measures for the dipsticks of ZF4HP18Q and ZF4HP18QE?

Thanks for the e-tip.

Best Regards, Casé
I don't know if measurements the same for 24v A/T I don't have one now to compare.

Maybe Goats or Alfafan61 who have 24v models will chime in here.

Is your dip stick handle green or yellow? I also have a new yellow one for some ZF model maybe 24v one.

I can't get to it today though to measure it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
164 12V and 24V Dipstick

I don't know if measurements the same for 24v A/T I don't have one now to compare.

Maybe Goats or Alfafan61 who have 24v models will chime in here.

Is your dip stick handle green or yellow? I also have a new yellow one for some ZF model maybe 24v one.

I can't get to it today though to measure it.
Dear Steve,

The dipstick now installed in my transmission is yellow, but I bought online another used one (with the plastic end section broken too :( ) wich is green. They have different sizes. The yellow has the metal spring a little bit longer (+/- 1 in) than the green. Since they both do not come from a reliable source, i am not sure wich is the right one and don't know the right length of cold and hot, minimum and maximun levels. .

But I have a new clue! In the Fiat on-line spare parts catalog the avaliable option (but out of stock!) for a dipstick is the same both to 12V and 24V, with the code 60808905. So, my conclusion is that are the same. Do you agree?

Look at the attached PDF.

Best Reagrds, Casé

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,322 Posts
Alfa 164 A/T dip stick info/measurements

Dear Steve,

The dipstick now installed in my transmission is yellow, but I bought online another used one (with the plastic end section broken too :( ) wich is green. They have different sizes. The yellow has the metal spring a little bit longer (+/- 1 in) than the green. Since they both do not come from a reliable source, i am not sure wich is the right one and don't know the right length of cold and hot, minimum and maximun levels. .

But I have a new clue! In the Fiat on-line spare parts catalog the avaliable option (but out of stock!) for a dipstick is the same both to 12V and 24V, with the code 60808905. So, my conclusion is that are the same. Do you agree?

Look at the attached PDF.

Best Reagrds, Casé
60808905 was a 7609854 dip stick and is for a manual transmission.

Green A/T dip stick 9944769
Yellow A/T dip stick 60760018

Both are pretty much the same length and both listed for 91-93 ATs.

Now are they the same length for 24v A/T? Probably but I don't have one to compare to and can't find part number for 24v AT dipstick in ePer.

The HOT mark 80C for FULL is 30.5cm from bottom of red ring on yellow handle and it is the same on the green dip stick.
The HOT mark for LOW is 32cm
The COLD mark 40C for FULL is 32cm
The COLD mark for LOW is 34cm.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts

Now are they the same length for 24v A/T? Probably but I don't have one to compare to and can't find part number for 24v AT dipstick in ePer.

The HOT mark 80C for FULL is 30.5cm from bottom of red ring on yellow handle and it is the same on the green dip stick.
Dear Steve,

Priceless information. I will check the size of mine on monday and post a reply with photos.

Best Regards, Casé

·
Registered
32 Posts
Help! Somebody help! Alfisto, please help!

Dear Steve,

I will use your measures to make the flexible end section of my dip stick.

As I wrote before, I have to dip sticks, but both are different of yours. Using the same method I measured my dip sticks and the metal springs (only the metal springs) had 25 cm and 29 cm. No problem, I will make the end section and use the green dip stick to reach the same size as yours.

This is an attempt to fix a problem with my transmission. I will try to describe, maybe you have some clue to me.

The problem started intermittently. Sometimes the warning signal blinked for a while, turned off the "Auto" sign and then returned to normal. I did not notice whether the fourth gear engaged. Probably yes, but I'm not sure.

Another detail: When the transmission started to became into the emergency mode, if I pressed the "Ice" button instantly the warning lamp stopped flashing and the panel indicated the "Ice" mode, and if I pressed to switch off the "Ice" mode or pressed the button "Auto / Sport", the transmission went back to emergency mode.

The problem became more frequent, so we took off the transmission for inspection and nothing was found wrong. We set up again and now goes straight into emergency mode.

Now, when I turn the key to the "On" position the eletronic test go okay. The "Auto" sign appears on the dashbord and all become stable. If I make any change on the lever (with the engine not running) the signs do go properly, including, "1", "2", "3", "Sport" and 'Ïce".

When I start the engine immediately the red alert sign on dashboard start to flash and the "Auto" sign disappears. When I make a lever change to "N" the bracket disappears around the "P" sign but do not appear around the "N" sign on the dashbord (the "Auto" don't appears anymore). When I change the lever to the "D"position the second gear engages with a stride (I don't know if this is the right word for it). I believe that the torque converter is off. The car rides up to 100 km/h in 2nd without any undesireble noise, but don't changes gears properly.

When I move the the lever to the "R" position, the reverse engages with the same stride. The gear indicator on the dashbord still not appears. The reverse runs ok, except for the stride.

When the lever is moved from "D" to "3", on dashboard indicates "2", when moved from "3" to "2" on dashboards indicates "1", when moved from "2" to the "1" position the bracket disappears again on dashboard (but these moves don't change gears, it do still on 2nd gear).

We tried to check the transmission on the Magnet Marelli scanner. The scanner does connect well, but don't indicates any error code.

The only problem is that since the end section dip stick was broken (as shown on the picture bellow) I overloaded the gearbox with hidraulic fluid (Dexron III) up to the point where I could check (3 or 4 centimeters above the right cold max level). There is any chance that this overload cause the malfunction?

Steve, I am sorry for all these questions. I am walking like a live dead trying to fix my beloved Alfa. Maybe you can help this Alfista...

Best regards from the sunny Brazil, Casé

·
Premium Member
27,322 Posts
Did you remove filter cover after removing three 10mm hex head bolts and drain fluid , retrieve broken piece off dip dtick and check fliud and filter element condition?

There is rectangle magnet in filter cover that can fall out into oil catch can. Check it for metal particles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Did you remove filter cover after removing three 10mm hex head bolts and drain fluid , retrieve broken piece off dip dtick and check fliud and filter element condition?

There is rectangle magnet in filter cover that can fall out into oil catch can. Check it for metal particles.
Dear Alfisto,

Since I bought this 164 the dip stick was broken. Yes, we tried to retrieve the broken end section but we could not find. It just disapeared or was removed before I bought it!

But I have news about the original dip stik. A friend from Recife-PE has a 164 24V 1995 identical than mine, since it was new. So he took a foto of dip stick and mesured it, using your method. The result is bellow:

I did made a modification using a steel cable to replace the broken plastic end section. Like the picture below, but using the mesures that you sent.

Tomorow I will modify the one with yellow handle for make the correct size for the 164 V6 3.0 24V that is: Max Hot: 27cm, Max Cold 29cm, Min Cold 31cm.

So, in ZF4HP18QE the dipstick is shorter than the ZF4HP18Q. 3,5 cm shorter, and this implies in many liters of extra fluid if you use the wrong size and maybe malfunction. Look the impact of oil level inside the gearbox.

Before this discussion i used to use the remaining plastic on the yellow dip stick to check the fluid level. Conclusion, I used to load minimun 4 more cm of oil level, and I think that is to much. Maybe this is the cause alone of this malfunction. What do you think about this?

Best Regards, Casé :D

·
Premium Member
27,322 Posts
So do you have tranny out of the car and opened up for that picture?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Tranny Opened

So do you have tranny out of the car and opened up for that picture?
Yes, the tranny is out of car. Do you need something? Just ask.

Today we made another stick with the new mesures for the V6 24V. Look at the picture below the diference. The yellow one is a V6 3.0 24V dip stick and the green is for a V6 3.0 12V. Since de bottom part of trannies are identical (ZF4HP18Q and ZF4HP18QE), I suppose that the cover of the body valvule is deeper in the 12V, so the dip sticks maybe are different.

Look that we have a diference of ~4 cm from one to another.

Best Regards, Carlos Garcia

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry! I placed a wrong code.

Dear Steve,

I was wrong when I placed the code for the dip stick os the auto tranny of the 164 V6 3.0 24V. The right diagram is this on the picture bellow and the right code for this dip stick is 9946819 and the Dip stick of the 164 V6 3.0 12V is 9944769 (as you write above).

Best reagards and sorry once again.

Best Regards, Carlos

1 - 17 of 17 Posts